Hello! New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samspice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! My name is Samantha and I am just looking for any and all advice. My fiance and I decided to start a saltwater aquarium after many months of research. We ended up purchasing a 55 gallon aquarium - along with a sump pump, skimmer, heaters, LED light geared for coral, digital thermometer and small fan that stick to the side of the tank for oxygen flow - about a week ago. The tank has a sand base. Temperature is at a steady 80.1, Salt content (hydrometer) is at 1.020, Ph is at 8.1, Ammonia is at 0 ppm, Nitrite is at 0 ppm and Nitrate is at 0ppm. We went to a saltwater only fish store to talk to someone but the gentleman was very rude and instead of helping was just very judgmental so I am hoping to be able to get a little more out of this forum. We purchased 17lbs of live rock and we currently have 3 very small snails (probably not even the size of a dime). We are looking to start off with just a few clown fish and an anemone and then build from there. My biggest question is where do we go from here, I realize a week is no where near long enough to cycle the tank but how long is long enough and what should we be doing in the mean time? What are key things to look out for? Any advice would be great!

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
Sorry can't help you with your questions I'm only freshwater ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Hi, welcome to the forum. You could try posting in the SW - getting started section to catch the salties.

glad to have you with us
the very first question I must ask was the tank cycled this is one of the most important things for starting up a tank correctly

glad to have you with us
the very first question I must ask was the tank cycled this is one of the most important things for starting up a tank correctly

It has not been cycled yet as far as I know. I have been searching for the best way to cycle it, I have read too many different things and I am unsure which is the best. A friend who used to work in a fish store told me to put a clown or damsel fish in it to get the cycle started.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Samantha, I know this post is alittle out dated, but was just curious how the cycling is going?

Hi Samantha, I know this post is alittle out dated, but was just curious how the cycling is going?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply but it went great! We cycled in a matter of days by using a bottle of bacteria and we already have fish who are all happy!

Hello

Just seen this post with regards to an anenome I would hold of for a minimum of 6 months to allow the tank to mature and stabilise.

In the begging of a marine aquarium paremeters will be swinging like a pendulum and it's not a nice place for an anenome to be once the tank is older it will be fine providing the lighting is upto it :)

Back
Top Bottom