Hello pleas give advise. -- SW tank after long power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B&J

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello from B&J AKA Ky Kats,
wave.gif
Sorry such a long post.
I'm a 31yr old mother of one cute 5 yr old boy. I'm Diabetic and love to make candy and bake, (can't sample it but hubby and family loves it). My hubby and I raise and breed Traditional Himalayans and Applehead Siamese cats. Up until Dec 19, 2008 we also had a 18 gal guppie tank with 2 ghost shrimp, 2 adult female guppies, 6 littlers of babies (three from each parent totaling about 15 averaging 1/8in to 1/4in long), and a 46 gal bowface with 2 FP clowns.
drinkingcoffee.gif
Now for the biggie part the questions.
Heres the stats on the tank and the Equipment list
Age almost 3 years.
Equiptment list:46 gal bowface H 21", W 36", Small D 12", and Large D 16"
with an eggcrate top
Lighting: Odyssea Aquarium Reef Light 78 wt 2x12000 T5s 1 day & 1 Actinic
Marine Land fixture with Marine Glo T10 30wt 18000k bulb
Power Heads: 800L/H Power head. 9wt UV sterilizer and a Zoo Meds power
head output 800L/H
Filters: 3" sand bed appx 75 to 100 lbs LS(not sure if its alive still U be the
Judge)
Appx 28 lbs LR (I know that I need more, I will also let you be the
judge of if it is still considered live)
Over-flo skilmmer with a DIY trickle filter with Bio-balls
J7 return pump
29 gal DIY fuge with three heaters(not sure what kind they are but
enough to heat appx 90 gal water)
2 air driven protein skimmers each rated for up to 60 gal tank
Old live stock list: 2 FP Clowns
1 Turbo snail
1 Bk Nassarius snail
1 Cerith snail
2 Feather dusters
8 Mushrooms (kept at the very top for the most
light)
1(?) Collonistal Snails (2 came with the LR and
multiplied) (Count was 15+ when dank was cleaned)
2 Serpent Stars (Peach and Spot) +>20 babies
1 Unknown Anemone (kept at the very top for the most
light)
1(?) Bristle worm (count after cleaning tank was 35+)
1 unknown type of crab
Okay heres what happened, on Dec. 18, we were hit with a major snowstorm (8"-10" in our area). Trees and power lines down everywhere, one not 25' from our front door. We had to leave our home, and go stay with my mother due to a heating oil shortage in the area. Power stayed out until Christmas eve (power only, Water got fixed 3 days later, phone, tv, and internet just got fixed today). We returned home and removed the dead, on chrismas eve, and started draining the tanks. It took 5 days to get everything back in order, Now the Fuge had nothing living in it (it had filters runing in it), so we broke down the main tank only in case some bacteria had survived. We refilled the tank scrubed the dead plants off the rock and replaced the sand.
We lost almost everything (fish wise). One thing survived this: The Nassarius snail!!!!
I know with changing over half the water I'll be basicly be starting from scrach. I know I'll have a cycle like when I started, but is 3 days too soon for the cycle to start? My readings tonight were as follows:

Temp 79 degrees
PH 8.0
Nitrite >5
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .25
Ammonia 2.0
Carbonate Hardness 10 dKH or 179 ppmKH
Calcium 440 mg/L(ppm)
Silinity 1.022

Did a 5 gal water change with the following Aqua Safe (10ml), Easy Balance
(10ml), and Foster and Smith Water Repair (Stabilize enough for the whole system. 9 1/2 t).
Is it too soon for a cycle?
Is there anything else I can do?
Any help will be wonderful.
progress.gif

Welcome to AA :) Sorry to hear about your fish loss, my aunt lost all of her fish during that snowstorm too. I wish i could help with the question more, but imo, you will probably see it take a little longer than 3 days to cycle. Changing the water wont affect your bacterial colony, as the bacteria dont live in the water column, they live on the surfaces in the tank like the rock and sand... Sounds like you have some die off from the lr causing the ammonia and nitrite to be high... how long has the tank been up and running since the power went out? You could be almost cycled since you have nitrite and the ammonia isnt super high...

Welcome to AA :) Sorry to hear about your fish loss, my aunt lost all of her fish during that snowstorm too. I wish i could help with the question more, but imo, you will probably see it take a little longer than 3 days to cycle. Changing the water wont affect your bacterial colony, as the bacteria dont live in the water column, they live on the surfaces in the tank like the rock and sand... Sounds like you have some die off from the lr causing the ammonia and nitrite to be high... how long has the tank been up and running since the power went out? You could be almost cycled since you have nitrite and the ammonia isnt super high...

Thank you for the warm welcome. Hate to hear about her loss. I'm just glad my son took it well on our loss, lol, Hubby said I took it harder than Josh did. Everything was back up and running by 1:45 pm Dec 30. I hope your right about the cycle, I miss my little clowns.

Welcome to AA!!

I am moving this over to the SW forum so you get better exposure & more replies from the salties.

Sorry about your fish loss. I heard they had it bad out east. We actually got over 1 1/2 foot of snow with "your" storm. <Normally winter storms goes from Canada to the US, but this one is backwards.> But I think our snow is a lot drier out west so didn't have too much problem with power outages. Hopefully this is the end of all the blizzards this winter ..... Wishful thinking I know ....

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!!

I am moving this over to the SW forum so you get better exposure & more replies from the salties.

Sorry about your fish loss. I heard they had it bad out east. We actually got over 1 1/2 foot of snow with "your" storm. <Normally winter storms goes from Canada to the US, but this one is backwards.> But I think our snow is a lot drier out west so didn't have too much problem with power outages. Hopefully this is the end of all the blizzards this winter ..... Wishful thinking I know ....

Thank you. And yeah that would be nice, no more snow this year.

Three days is a little too soon but you should start to see some elevated ammonia in the next few days. Be doing your water test and it will let you know how far along in the cycle you are. I`m hoping for a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom