Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
To follow up on your transfer, you should try and keep as much of the existing water as possible. Move the LR and LS in buckets filled with the water from the tank. Do your best to keep as much of that as possible, it will make the transition much simpler. For the rest, Mix your tap water with salt mix and let it aerate for 24-48 hours then add to the tank. HTH

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the info. I will let the water aerate prior to adding it. I also obtained 20 Gallons of RO premixed water from the LFS to add. I am afraid of Phosphates coming from my tap water. I will simply have to test the water often before and after adding I suppose. Thanks again for everones advice.

MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
On the use of your buckets if there was nasty stuff in them i would just get a couple new ones and mark them for your salt water...just go to home depot or Lowes and get a few 5 gallon buckets there and the lids too, i stick with the white ones...u can also get a 15 gallon rubbermade and aerate in there and pump it into you tank or use the 5 gallon buckets. I started with 5's then moved to the 15 gallon with a pump.

Good Luck
it's a free trip around the sun...enjoy the ride
dizzyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well. I sutup the used tank yesterday. It had been sitting for a while and had a Nitrate spike in about 30 G of water . Came with more than 70 lbs of live/base rock. Also came with a Lunar Aqualight by Coralife- 192 watt. (uses one 96 watt Actinit 03 Blue and one 96 watt 10,000K Daylight lamp), Prizm Protien skimmer, Air Pump, 3 Hermit crabs, around 1.5 inch sand bed, Heater, Emp 400 HOB, and a bucket of ods n ends with a book and little basket and sack of Brine shrimp. 8O I had no idea that it would come with so much stuff. Anyway, it seems as though I am doing ok for now on lighting. I read good things about the Coralife PC I have. I have read that the prizm is not the best skimmer but feel as though it should suffice for my current needs. As far as the sand is concerned, should I lay more down? It seems a little shallow 1-1.5 inches currently. Also, I have heard of using egg crates in FW tanks, should I use one on this tank with all the rock etc? Not sure about that. Any suggestions as to that or other equip I may need. (I realize now that a good pump wll save my recently surgically updated back )

MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com