Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello. Relative newb here.

Well, I have decided to throw my hat into the saltwater so to speak. I had freshwater for years, years ago by the way. Always wanted a saltwater tank. Now that my son is Fish crazed it seems the perfect time. I had been planning on going with a 55 G FO and upgrading to FOWLR in the future, then hopefully expanding to Inverts and what not. However, I just came upon a used tank that seems perfect. It is 58 Gallons. Comes with more than 40 pounds of live rock, sand, protien skimmer and an Emperor 400 HOB filter. Lighting is Lunar Q? I think. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure this would not be overkill for a relatively inexperienced person such as myself. I like the tank, I just don't want to get in over my head. I plan on running the tank for a while like it is then gradually adding fish. Maybe some tangs, clowns and a wrasse after a bit. I have been researching like mad for the past several weeks and have learned a great deal. Thanks by the way. Any suggestions.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep researching. I am on my first SW tank and it is a 55 gal FOWLR. I don't think that going from FO to FOWLR would be a good idea, especially since you already have 40 lbs to start with. Use the LR that you already have and add some base rock to it, so you have 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. It will all becom LR before long. SW is a very addicting hobby. I told myself that I would only do some small hardy fish. Now I have a yellow tang and clown fish (both very hardy), but quickly moved on to inverts (cleaner shrimp, starfish). But by quickly I mean about 4-5 months.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I will stick to the FOWLR for a while then. I appreciate the input.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
The set-up sounds great. I am glad you are going with LR in the begining. It will sure make things easier on you. One question to ask whenever you buy a used tank is if any medications have ever been doesed into the tank (copper, more specifically) as it will limit what you can put in the tank in the future. One small tang only in a 55gal. It is pretty much the bare-minimum for housing a tang. I recommend your next purchase be "The Consceintious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a great book and will be a nice resorce for you.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I will pick up the book. Looks like I wma getting that setup. YEAY! Now, I must figure out how to move it. 8O
Old 07-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. I have read up on moving tank I am buying used. So, I remove all the LR and sand placing them in buckets wraping some in newspaper. Transfer then put back together. Fill up a big container with tap, mix salt to the right amount and dechlorinate too. What about PH levels. Our tap is between 8 and 10 on the PH scale. That ok or does it need adjusting up front. Then it seems as though I hook up all the equipment again, filter, heater, protien skimmer and run it. (I may add a power head) This is where the process of curing the LR comes into play right? I am not sure if that is necessary or not, as the tank has been sitting for a week or so. Do I still need to do the curing process?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

welcome...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
get a RODI for $85-130 from ebay instead of using tap if at all possible

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I checked into that just now. I don't have time to purchase one prior to seting up the tank. But I can get one in a few months. Any suggestions for treating the water I will be using absent a RO system? Do I just fill a large bucket then mix with Salt, dechlorinator and anything else?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

One other question. How do most of you do water changes and/or fill your aquarium? Using a large garbage can or 5 gallon buckets with the Python type tube or what? Also, I have several buckets lying around. Some used to hold powdered laundry detergent and one had Baer Latex Paint in it. Should I try and clean those out or just find an alternative bucket? 8O

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com