Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok thank you so much

Old 08-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I had to guess I would say the tank wasn't properly cycled to begin with. Then adding multiples of fish didnt help. :-(

I for sure would return the mandarin for now as it's fate will not be pretty. Unless of course youhave the money to shell out to buy a bottle or two of pods a week.

I'm a bit confused. You said you had a tang and alot of other fish, but were they in the 120g or the 30g?

Sorry for soo many questions but we want to help you get to the bottom of these issues so you can go back to enjoying your fish.

Another HIGHLY recommended item is your very own test kit for saltwater, the API saltwater master kit is the way to go for like $30.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, you can check liveaquaria.com for information on most fish you see being sold at a lfs. They have minimum tank size, and their requirements.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh forgot to add, a 50/50 single or double bulb is way way too little light for anenomes. They are super duper light needy.

Sorry to hit you with all this bad news but it will get better.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #15

They are in a 30g but I am thinking of setting up a 120g. And the 50/50 is 4 bulbs
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All those fish in a 30g does explain alot though. You probably just overloaded your bacteria with fish waste and what not. The tang needed a 180 or at least a 6 foot tank so it's no surprise about his passing, sorry......Tangs get sick and stressed in small tanks, even if they are little ones. Just the nature of them.

I would have MAX 4 or 5 maybe fish in a 30g. In my first sw tank, a straight 29g I had four fish and they were ok in there. I also had a anenome that i returned because of the stress it put me through, they can actually eat fish and god forbid if they die, they can nuke a whole tank.

Since you have a 4 bulb fixture your first course of action should be getting new bulbs appropriate for saltwater. i would suggest 2 10k or 2 12k bulbs and 2 actinics (blues). Gives great color to the tank and can sustain those nems hopefully.

If you have an empty 120g and want a wider selection fish now is the time to do it right. Is it a 6 foot 120 or a 4 footer? If you have a six foot tank you can eventually replace your tang. Plus you can add some really spectacular fish.
yaay!

But if all you have the budget for is the 30g then we can heklp you work with that. if you could pick up a testing kit today that would be awesome, and just post the testing results. It will reveal ALOT!

Are you using ro/di water? And I think i saw that you didnt want corals, is that correct?
You can setup a fish only 120g alot cheaper than a coral 120g for sure, as the lights price will kill ya! lol
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #17

6ft 120 and also my lights are 2 blue and 2 white for my anenomes and I just got a couple soft corals
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #18

I also buy my water from LFS but that can get spendy at 1.50 a gallon which is why I am hoping there is an easier and still safe way
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Try this out

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

$70 bucks anbd you never have to lug water again! I and several others here have bought this unit and had success with it.

Ok, so you do have the proper lights, I just saw 50/50 bulbs listed somewhere and people use them for freshwater. They make my cichlid tank look awesome lol

So you have a 30g up and running now...how mcuh rock again? And what filtration are you using.Just going back to basics. What all is left alive? You might be able to save what you have But that test kit will be vital. I promise.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #20

I could pretty much fill my tank top to bottom in rock lol I have a filter that pulls it out and filters through like 4 filters before putting it back. Supposed to filter like 300g an hour.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com