Help!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im a newbie to the site, but i have kept marine fish for three years now, and i thought i had it under control!!!

Problem is i have recentley recieved my new tank 2 x 2.5 x 3.5 approx 600 litres with sump.

Removed everything out of my Aqua one UFO700 that i had, had no problems with apart from a does of whitespot aprox two years ago.

Set new tank up with existing live rock and corals, used mature water, but used new sand, everything going well for the first month then out of the blue i lost my copperband, did the normal checks nitrite, ammonia, ph all well with in the limits, checked nitrate and it was through the roof.

Ive done a 100ltr water change today, and its still off the scale!!!!!!

Help required, any ideas on what i can do?

I also have a skimmer that just dosnt seem to be working, first time ive used one, its an Instant Oceam Skimm 800, with out instructions, it seemed quite obvious as to what was needed but, i have been unable to get any bubbles out of it!!!!!!

Please help?

Welcome to AA!!

Ok so you moved all your stuff from one tank to the other?

I'm guessing you reused the old sand? High Nitrates are probably from the nasty stuff that was trapped in the sand.

When moving from one tank to another it is a good idea to get new sand or rinse your old sand out really well. Also rinse your LR off with the old tank water to remove any built up detritus.

I suggest frequent large PWCs to get those numbers down,.

Can you post your actual readings?

Anytime you move stuff from one system to another you stir up all kinds of nasty things. I would suggest again, large PWCs and running carbon would be a good idea as well.

true. heh Some days I cant think "fish" much less during my working hours as an automotive tech hench my short answer above. heh.

Back
Top Bottom