HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
HELP
I have very good knowledge of freshwater and want to move on to saltwater however I don't have a clue!

I need help on:

Fish/who can mix
Tank size/cost
Minimum cost
Equipment detail
Coral/Is it essential
What fish can go in smaller tanks
Average cost for things
Tips/advice
Breeding

If people could help I would be delighted. Thanks. (I know it's a lot sorry)

Ok I also have a fresh water too, I have a salt also. The biggest thing is filtration, get a protein skimmer and you could get a UV water sterilizer. Coral isn't nessasary but they are really pretty, reef tank are more money because of the corals they need special light and more calcium. You should buy a test kit to test ammonia, nitrates, calcium,phosphorus, and carbon hardness. And test them every day.

Also I have a 28g and I'm making it a reef tank, I'm expected to spend around 1,000$ but that's high, I'm expecting to spend less.you should buy ALL peaceful fish for your tank at first, if you mix the wrong fish you could end up with one missing the next day.

Dizzy, you are def asking very valid questions and looking at the right areas, however, they are way too general and broad to give accurate answers to. the best thing i could recommend is reading through this starter thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...f-articles-to-help-get-you-started-41145.html

youre best served doing as much reading/research as possible then coming up with a rough gamelan of what you want to accomplish. just as an example, are you more interested in a nano setup or a bigger tank? what type of setup do you ultimately want? ( peaceful community-reef or non-reef, predator tank-usually non-reef, etc) as for the cost of the setup, equipment, and necessary supporting equip, that is strictly based on if youre willing to get started with used equipment, brand new, or somewhere between. also if going new, the level of quality will determine price as well. ive personally found that its easier (for me atleast) to buy an entire used setup, then gradually upgrade the equipment as i see necessary).
mixing fish- again this will depend on tank size and other tankmates. most salties will agree that you should never mix multiple "round" tangs (sailfin, desjardini, yellow, purple, etc). but in a large enough tank, people have done it quite easily without issues.
min. equip- another area that needs defined better. a GENERAL rule of thumb is that tanks 55g and under usually dont need a skimmer (unless its a heavily stocked coral tank) and tanks 55g and up do need one. however theres exceptions both ways. powerheads are an almost certainty. also the type of filtration you will rely on changes with tank sizes. i personally havea 125 that uses a 55g refugium below the tank. (i made myself, cost $80 considering the new 55 tank....saved money;)
so check out that thread, read the links. and see if you can come up with a rough idea of what you want. we would prob be a lot more useful in helping if we knew which way you were headed.

Go on youtube and search 'setting up a saltwater aquarium'. Change the wording a few times and watch as many videos as possible. Then, any questions post them on here.

Back
Top Bottom