Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Chicwholuvsfish
Help!

I just set up a new tank, not knowing much about saltwater! So please email me.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi there, welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know? You'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch and if you post your questions here everyone will gladly help you out.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would like to know if a 10 Gallon tank with one percula is too small, Also I would like to get a anenome. I have no clue which kind and how to pick one out. I just need alot of advice. I have a air pump with a small airstone and I have a waterfall filter in the tank. Let me know! Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chic, there is way too much information a person new to the hobby needs to know to be able to sum it up in a simple post. Its a whole other world from freshwater. You need to do a lot of research before you begin, or else you'll likely have a string of problems. Grab a few books about SW aquariums, and read the forums. The getting started section here would be a great place to start. Lots of people come here in the beginning and ask similar questions, so the forums will contain most everything you need to know.

Welcome to AA.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll go with indy and recommend getting a good book aswell as spending a few days going through this forum and seeing what kind of problems/questions others have had when starting up.

Just to address your query though, 10 gal is on the small side and you (and nemo) would be much better off with a minimum of 30 gal. SW tanks can be a bit tricky at first so bigger allows you a lot more room for error. As for the anemone, it's not particularly advisable for newbies as they can be hard to care for, and they definitely prefer matured tanks. Most people will tell you to wait 6-12 months before considering one.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone for replying. I just wanted to let you know. I wasnt totally ingorant at starting a saltwater tank. I just needed some getting started tips. If u have anymore tips. Let me know.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Read thru the articles section, and other posts. They are very informative. One of the keys of maintaining a healthy sw tank is stability. This can be difficult with a 10 gal. The best advice that i can give you to start is to top off with fw daily to maintain salinity constant. When I top up I set up a bucket w fw and siphon the water with 1/4" airline tubing set to drip. This slowly lowers salinity, which is better than dumping in fw all at once
Old 07-04-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Right now all I have in my tank is...Coral rock(gravel) a couple of pieces of the fake coral. Then I have the waterfall filtration system. An air pump in the back of the tank. I have one Percula Clownfish. It is doing really well. I used to have a problem with the ammonia being way to high and it almost killed my fish so I put it in a quarentine tank and I treated the water with Ammo lock and then some chemical, I cant remember the name right now but it was supposed to help the biological process. Now my fish is so happy. It actually swims to the top of the tank now! I also was wondering if anyone knew how to tell the sex of the fish. I dont think that my clown is the "True Percula" but I just would like ot know how to sex them. In the future I also want to start breeding my clownfish. I would like some tips on that if any one has experienced that. I have looked up alot of information on that so far. I cant wait to do that!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I'm not mistaken all clowns are born male. When 2 juveniles are raised together, one will grow larger than the other and become female.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken all clowns are born male. When 2 juveniles are raised together, one will grow larger than the other and become female.

Your not, at least that's what I have been told also

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com