Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there, welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know? You'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch and if you post your questions here everyone will gladly help you out.

:)

I would like to know if a 10 Gallon tank with one percula is too small, Also I would like to get a anenome. I have no clue which kind and how to pick one out. I just need alot of advice. I have a air pump with a small airstone and I have a waterfall filter in the tank. Let me know! Thanks.

Chic, there is way too much information a person new to the hobby needs to know to be able to sum it up in a simple post. Its a whole other world from freshwater. You need to do a lot of research before you begin, or else you'll likely have a string of problems. Grab a few books about SW aquariums, and read the forums. The getting started section here would be a great place to start. Lots of people come here in the beginning and ask similar questions, so the forums will contain most everything you need to know.

Welcome to AA. :)

I'll go with indy and recommend getting a good book aswell as spending a few days going through this forum and seeing what kind of problems/questions others have had when starting up.

Just to address your query though, 10 gal is on the small side and you (and nemo) would be much better off with a minimum of 30 gal. SW tanks can be a bit tricky at first so bigger allows you a lot more room for error. As for the anemone, it's not particularly advisable for newbies as they can be hard to care for, and they definitely prefer matured tanks. Most people will tell you to wait 6-12 months before considering one.

Thanks everyone for replying. I just wanted to let you know. I wasnt totally ingorant at starting a saltwater tank. I just needed some getting started tips. If u have anymore tips. Let me know. :)

Read thru the articles section, and other posts. They are very informative. One of the keys of maintaining a healthy sw tank is stability. This can be difficult with a 10 gal. The best advice that i can give you to start is to top off with fw daily to maintain salinity constant. When I top up I set up a bucket w fw and siphon the water with 1/4" airline tubing set to drip. This slowly lowers salinity, which is better than dumping in fw all at once

Right now all I have in my tank is...Coral rock(gravel) a couple of pieces of the fake coral. Then I have the waterfall filtration system. An air pump in the back of the tank. I have one Percula Clownfish. It is doing really well. I used to have a problem with the ammonia being way to high and it almost killed my fish so I put it in a quarentine tank and I treated the water with Ammo lock and then some chemical, I cant remember the name right now but it was supposed to help the biological process. Now my fish is so happy. It actually swims to the top of the tank now! I also was wondering if anyone knew how to tell the sex of the fish. I dont think that my clown is the "True Percula" but I just would like ot know how to sex them. In the future I also want to start breeding my clownfish. I would like some tips on that if any one has experienced that. I have looked up alot of information on that so far. I cant wait to do that!

If I'm not mistaken all clowns are born male. When 2 juveniles are raised together, one will grow larger than the other and become female.

If I'm not mistaken all clowns are born male. When 2 juveniles are raised together, one will grow larger than the other and become female.

Your not, at least that's what I have been told also :mrgreen:

So what happens when I already have one clownfish. I would like to get another to breed them. A guy at this fish store I went to suggested taking the clown out that I have now and putting them(the new and old) in the tank at the same time. He said they arent very smart and this way it might trick them into thinking that they have been together. In the same tank. He said they get confused. But I dont wanna be mean. So just let me know. Thanks for replying. All the info has helped! Keep sending it though.

Hey I was wondering if any of you knew where to get pics of Anenomes? I just got one but I didnt catch the name of it. I think the lady at the store said Condalactis or something like that. The body of it is Orange the tentacles are a light pink color and the tips have a greenish hint to them. They said it grows up to 12 inches. If any of u know please respond! Thanks. I love this site.

anenomes are hard to keep, almost impossible in a new tank. They need a tank that has been running for a year.

Back
Top Bottom