Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

HELP!!!!

Nitrites are at 7ppm and Nitrates are at 160ppm. Take has been established for a month now and I have a maroon clown, a banggai cardinal, a red firefish and a blue/green chromis. What can I do to bring those levels down?!? Also I just did a 10 gallon water change.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your ammonia result? How big a tank (depending on tank size, your bioload might be too high)? Do you have live rock and sand? Did the rock cure prior to adding the livestock?

In an emergency, you can try to use SeaChem Prime to drop the levels, or drop in a Purigen bag in your filter/sump.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
What is your ammonia result? How big a tank (depending on tank size, your bioload might be too high)? Do you have live rock and sand? Did the rock cure prior to adding the livestock?

In an emergency, you can try to use SeaChem Prime to drop the levels, or drop in a Purigen bag in your filter/sump.
0 ppm ammonia, 75 gallon tank, no live rock or sand. It was dead and I cycled my tank with Dr Tims One and Only.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Spanky
change 50% of water daily it will come down thats bout all you can do. make sure to add water treatment each time to give fish little relief. you'll probably be doing wc for bout 10 days.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

While you were cycling the tank (which I assume you did for a month), did you provide an ammonia source for your bacteria (either household ammonia, fish flakes, or a raw cocktail shrimp)? If not, your bacteria died and had nothing to live on; though you should have ammo in your tank now if that were the case.

If your rock was dead (ie, dry), you let it cycle for a month, right? If no rock at all...what are you using for biological filtration? A canister or HOB filter?

I would get canister (or 2 100mL bags) of Purigen and a bottle of Prime. Dose the Prime based on instructions and drop the Purigen into a high flow area. That will get your immediate problem solved. After that, it sounds like you definitely need to get some good bio filtration going.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont have the time or money to use that much water at a time. I dont have an ro unit cuz I have a ****** well. 38 gallons of water a day for 10 days is 380 gallons. Thats ridiculous.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using tap water vs RODI for the tank? What are the baseline readings on your well water for nitrite, nitrate, etc? If you have farming nearby, they may be high due to fertilizers, etc.

You can use an RO unit, but get a booster pump if your pressure is low.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
While you were cycling the tank (which I assume you did for a month), did you provide an ammonia source for your bacteria (either household ammonia, fish flakes, or a raw cocktail shrimp)? If not, your bacteria died and had nothing to live on; though you should have ammo in your tank now if that were the case.

If your rock was dead (ie, dry), you let it cycle for a month, right? If no rock at all...what are you using for biological filtration? A canister or HOB filter?

I would get canister (or 2 100mL bags) of Purigen and a bottle of Prime. Dose the Prime based on instructions and drop the Purigen into a high flow area. That will get your immediate problem solved. After that, it sounds like you definitely need to get some good bio filtration going.
I added the dr tims and didnt put a fish in till 5 days later. Thats the problem I think. And no not for a month. Dr tims cycles the tank in 48 hrs or less. But no I dont have ammonia. And I have an ecosystems sump. With 80 lb of rock in the display tank.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_freak23 View Post
I dont have the time or money to use that much water at a time. I dont have an ro unit cuz I have a ****** well. 38 gallons of water a day for 10 days is 380 gallons. Thats ridiculous.
Also, yes, it's a lot, but it will ensure that your fish survive with no long term ill effects. I had to do this for my freshwater 56 gallon tank to get some parameters that had gone out of whack. It sucked, but my fish look great and have survived.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_freak23 View Post
I added the dr tims and didnt put a fish in till 5 days later. Thats the problem I think. And no not for a month. Dr tims cycles the tank in 48 hrs or less. But no I dont have ammonia. And I have an ecosystems sump. With 80 lb of rock in the display tank.
If your rock was dead, you need to cycle for much longer than 5 days. I had dead (BRS dry) rock, used BioSpira, and am still waiting at least 5 weeks before I add any livestock.

Without an ammonia source, your bacteria most likely died on the vine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com