Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! 29 biocube setting up tomorrow

I have kept freshwater in the past but am going into saltwater. Tomorrow I am buying a 29g Biocube and need a bit of advice.

How do I need to start off? What should I buy at first besides the tank?

My LFS suggested I buy their premixed saltwater And use a instant cycle in a bottle so I can go without the cycle process. Will this work well? And do I need to get live sand and live rock tomorrow?

Kind of a short notice but I need advice.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not you really should read up on it and how to properly cycle a tank. Those instant cycle bottles often do not work well.

Also are you planning on getting an RO/DI unit?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes I know about the cycle. Do they work at all? And not at the moment I plan on buying mixed water from my LFS
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsuggs
I have kept freshwater in the past but am going into saltwater. Tomorrow I am buying a 29g Biocube and need a bit of advice.

My LFS suggested I buy their premixed saltwater And use a instant cycle in a bottle so I can go without the cycle process. Will this work well? And do I need to get live sand and live rock tomorrow?

You DO need to cycle, you need a saltwater test kit so you can test your pH, alkalinity,kh/gh, calcium etc... You'll need a refractometer to measure specific gravity and salinity of your water. You'll need live rock and live sand.

IMO before going ahead I suggest you do a lot research. Search the forum there are plenty o good build threads for the bio cube and other good threads for the bio cube.

You'll need a head power heads or a power head.

Have you thought about stock? Corals? Any mods?

Are you sure your ready for this? It's a lot of responsibility, I'm not bashing by any means but please don't just buy a tank on impulse through some instant cycle and start stocking your tank. That's just asking for trouble. Gotta love LFS....

Don't buy into the instant cycle hype.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

You DO need to cycle, you need a saltwater test kit so you can test your pH, alkalinity,kh/gh, calcium etc... You'll need a refractometer to measure specific gravity and salinity of your water. You'll need live rock and live sand.

IMO before going ahead I suggest you do a lot research. Search the forum there are plenty o good build threads for the bio cube and other good threads for the bio cube.

You'll need a head power heads or a power head.

Have you thought about stock? Corals? Any mods?

Are you sure your ready for this? It's a lot of responsibility, I'm not bashing by any means but please don't just buy a tank on impulse through some instant cycle and start stocking your tank. That's just asking for trouble. Gotta love LFS....

Don't buy into the instant cycle hype.
Which cycle method would you recommend? I have never cycled a sw and when I did fw years ago I used pure amo. and it smelled pretty bad and was a mess. Which brand should I go with for testing kits? Also how much liverock and livesand should I buy?

I may stay up a while reading some biocube threads tonight.

Will I need a powerhead from the start?

As for stock I was thinking the following (which I am open to opinions on it)
Fish and inverts: clownfish,blue green reef chromis,a goby (I really like the catalina goby),a starfish, and a clean up crew.
Coral: zoa's , and mushrooms
Not planning any mods.

Yeah I have wanted this for a while but this is my chance to get it cheap while its on sale and I have some money to get it up and going.

Do you have a suggestion about starting the cycle without losing fish? I want to get it up and running tomorrow while I have the chance but I will not be back to watch it for a few days since a family member is having a operation and I will be staying there a few days.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsuggs

Your lfs is trying to rip you off, I started mine a month ago,
All you need is salt and water, not premixed as its alot more expensive
Power head
Live rock will make the cycle as minimal as possible aslong as you transport it to the tank quickly.
Don't buy the instant cycle stuff
You need a heater also
I wouldn't buy live sand, its a waste of money
Filter floss
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum15soccer View Post
Your lfs is trying to rip you off, I started mine a month ago,
All you need is salt and water, not premixed as its alot more expensive
Power head
Live rock will make the cycle as minimal as possible aslong as you transport it to the tank quickly.
Don't buy the instant cycle stuff
You need a heater also
I wouldn't buy live sand, its a waste of money
Filter floss
I agree also i'd hold off on buyin the power head untill you decide what you'll be putting in the tank some fish/coral like more flow than others As for live rock buy a few lbs (3-5) of live and finish with base. (saves a lot of cash) dose to 4ppm with pure ammo and let it cycle and build up a good bacti base remember the worst thing to do with this hobby is rush things
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-al...shless-cycling

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com