HELP!! 29g BioCube, stunted growth on my green spotted puffer, how tos on diy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another day another saltwater noob stupidity dilemma :)

History- freshwater green spotted puffers from Walmart one death and one moody puffer later, one slightly rushed, but successful changeover to full marine, he is 4 inches now and it's been about a year, he was less than a half inch when I decided to step in and dive into saltwater, what I thought would be happily just a puffer FOWLR (40g) and a separate, someday maybe to be connected as a refugium 10g nano start up.

I got a surprise from my husband- a 29g BioCube, good as new- Where would I put my seeding media and live rock rubble? Would it be where bioballs are? I know I'm dumb, I'm sorry. I just don't think I can use the bioballs provided by the former owner because he used it as a cichlid tank- input on this please, I have no clue.

I have a green spotted puffer 40g breeder salt water and a separate 10g nano start up that I just managed to balance to each other after 7 months. I plan on combining these 2 tanks into the cube and with the media, water, live sand and live rock I should be able to cycle pretty quickly (I am planning on a cycling of at least 2 weeks due to disturbing a deep sand bed- stirred by regular clams :). ) I want to use everything from my tanks to break them down and build a 40g with the 10g as an attached refugium and saltwater green spotted puffer researched biotope and maybe try my hand at corals. Any links to diy instructions on this set up would be greatly appreciated (linking a 10g refugium to a 40g breeder)- I'm an idiot but I take direction well.

If I haven't lost you yet, bless your patience. In the meantime, I need advice on whether I would have a problem housing my 4 inch saltwater puffer in a 29g BioCube for about 6-9 months while I build his biotope and learn more about saltwater chemistry (it makes planted freshwater feel like a walk in the park!!!)? Do I really need bioballs when I have a lot of spare live rock? Should I be able to move puffy into the BioCube in about 2 weeks? Links for any info on set up and cycle especially alternative filtration media (open viewing on side for bioballs?). Please help this confused freshy get on the right track. Thank you oh so very much in advance for any and all help you guys can give me!!!!

It is best to dump the bioballs and use live rock. I have about 27lbs in the tank and maybe 3lbs in the tank. Depending how good the rock it could take 2-6 weeks. Just have to be patient. I got super good rock and cycled in 2 weeks. If you can, you want to use RO water. I made the mistake of listening to one local shop that said tap was ok. Ended up with tons of brown algae. Not sure on the puffer. How big will he get? I really like my biocube 29. No issues with it so far.

Thank you for your response, that's what I am planning on doing. I have a TON of live rock, I would say about 200lbs or so, mixed origin, all very well cultured. I plan on filling where the bio balls normally are with as much porous cultured live rock as I can.
That being said, I want to take my heavier, denser live rock and aquascape a cave with a wall. This will no doubt give me more water space then I have in my 40g right now.
If you try doing research on green spotted puffers that start out as freshies you come across a million and one different answers as to how big they will get, ranging from 5 inches to 2 feet!! Generally I've read 40g is appropriate for green spotteds so my logic is this- if I have 30g and don't have multiple HOBs, thermometers, circulators and more live rock using less space it kind of evens out. I have bigger tanks and can build him a tank and refugium with the set ups I have right now... As is, though, he is too small for his tank and I don't think it should be a big deal to house him in my bc29 until he's big enough to fill out a larger tank, but I don't know and no one can seem to answer that one.... Not to mention-no one can show me a green spotted puffer in an aquarium that's bigger than about 5 or 6 inches....

Ya i would think he would be ok till he gets bigger. They are really cool though. I have about 3lb in the back. The rock i got was from a very established tank. Extremely good so i have never had any issues. 2 week cycle and never seen any nitrates. Now i only have fish right now but still good. There is a tray system you can put in the second bay too but rock is ok. Are you doing corals or just fish?

I'm taking corals into consideration, especially with a 10g refugium. I actually started it as a nano reef and had a button and a mushroom hitchhiker open and I was so proud, long stalled cycle story later my puffer has nice rocks to grind his teeth and beak on... I'm pretty sure I need a bit more experience before I try my hand at corals and anemones. Although I would love to have some bright rics or carpet... I'm such a geek!

Back
Top Bottom