Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Thanks, I will visit my lfs on friday and see if I can get my CUC from them or place an order online

How are these lights? What do you estimate these are worth used? I can pick this item up today off CL.

Crap the pic won't load.
Ok it's LED 90watts
45 white 45 blue
Input wattage 85-264v
Those are 1w leds they should work for softies zoas mushrooms and such but probably wont cover a 55g completely

Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Those are 1w leds they should work for softies zoas mushrooms and such but probably wont cover a 55g completely
Power compacts are also fine for softees not much more than that

Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

good start!!!
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

dandbstrong thanks a lot! Copepods are the next level, so Ill take my time before I bring home the LSD goby my other lfs has a mandarin goby that is 2-3 times as large and he/she is "tank raised", possibly easier to feed? In any case I can wait on any live fish and tend to my CuC with TLC for a few months.

The tank measures 13" deep, 48" long and 20" deep, custom size I am guessing? How does that affect my lighting needs?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
good start!!!
Awesome! I'm smiling like a weirdo, all morning.

Sorry, what defines refugium vs sump? My phone is makin it hard to load websites, I'm out in the boonies
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Power compacts are also fine for softees not much more than that
Lol, funny you should say that- I just learned about that a few weeks back, I had thought they could only be used for macro algae!!

I want to- and suggest to others, start with beginner level lower light corals, you may even find some already on your rock once your tank cycles and depending on the quality of curing!! Research images on google of corals and see which ones suit you well.

Thanks dan for the input!! My 10g nano reef and CUC only is cycled, really need help with a clean up crew line up.....
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To clarify, the led lights 45 white 45 blue from CL are the wrong size probably or such a long tank?

The two bulbs I got with the tank are a DIY job evidently, but well made, better than I could probably do.(man you are both fast, keep missing your posts)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post

Lol, funny you should say that- I just learned about that a few weeks back, I had thought they could only be used for macro algae!!

I want to- and suggest to others, start with beginner level lower light corals, you may even find some already on your rock once your tank cycles and depending on the quality of curing!! Research images on google of corals and see which ones suit you well.

Thanks dan for the input!! My 10g nano reef and CUC only is cycled, really need help with a clean up crew line up.....
A refugium is a dedicated area to grow macroalgae i find chaeto to be the easiest and most efficient what macroalgae does is feed off nitrates which is the end result of your cycle ammonia-nitrite-nitrate it (chaeto) requires lil lighting to grow and usually is middle compartment of sump although there are hob refugiums as well without removing nitrate via macro and or waterchanges your likely to encounter an algae issue for a cuc what i use and reccommend is for a 55g 3-5 turbo snails 3-5 nerite snails 3-5 cerith snails a serpent star and if doin livesand id say 20 tongan nassarius snails id stay away from crabs their ok when small but appetite grows when they grow ive seen fish fall victim to emerald and sally lightfoot
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good list, thanks Dan.

Hey I saw a horse shoe crab at the shop, said it needs a large sandbed(it was about 3" wide), is my tank super small for the guy? Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Good list, thanks Dan.

Hey I saw a horse shoe crab at the shop, said it needs a large sandbed(it was about 3" wide), is my tank super small for the guy? Just a thought.
They get huuuge

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com