Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP!!!!

Hi,
I am after some advice having recently set up a new marine tank and being a novice to it. I set my tank up about a month ago (Juwel rio 125l ) and added a lees aquarium 50 gallon protein skimmer which is more than big enough for the capacity of my tank. I monitored the levels for about 3 weeks and then when they were stable added 2 clownfish and anemone. The anemone died within a couple of days which after reading through other posts on the net I realised that they were probably the wrong thing to stick in a new tank, but over the last week I have watched the tank slowly get browner inside. It has covered the sand all the rocks and the back wall. I don't know if this is normal it certainly never happened on my freshwater tank. I have been checking the levels every 2 days and they are all fine, and I am only feeding a small amount of frozen every 2 days. Can anyone suggest what this might be and how to fight it or will it eventually clear itself up???

Thanks

Chris

Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's only brown diatom type algae. It is natural in a new setup. It will eventually go away as the better forms of algae take over. You can try to keep it under control with an algae scraper and a vacuum. But it will have to run its course. What kind of lighting did you have for the anemone and what kind of anemone was it? And it's probably too soon for an anemone anyways.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

How long are your lights on? Too long could help add to the problem too I think. Otherwise, it sounds like diatoms, which I believe are normal for newer tanks anyway.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #4

I was using a Marine blue with a daylight tube , but have just this evening removed the blue one. The lights do actually stay on for quite a while. I turn them on in the morning at about 8 when I leave for work and they go off at about 11 at night, do you think this is too long?? and to be honest im not too sure what the anemone was but the clownfish were living in it in the tank i purchased them from and was advised to buy it too
Old 10-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best thing to do for lighting is to get yourself a timer for them. This way, it will be consistent each day so your livestock will become acustomed to it. From what I have read up on Anemone's is that they require strong lighting, and a mature tank of around 6 months. Diatoms are ugly, but as long as you maintain good water quality, and appropriate feeding it will eventually disappear. Good luck!

Mike
Old 10-27-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'd recommend only 10 - 12 hrs daily for lights on periods. I turn mine on by timer at about 1pm. I feed when I get home in the evening and do my viewing then. Off at about midnite.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #7

Right I'll purchase a timer for the lights then and thinking about it now your'e probably right I dont need to have the lights on in the day especially whilst im not in the house. Will the algae eventually just dissappear then or do you advise buying some algae eaters ie:turbo snails and claener shrimps because at the moment the tank just looks a complete mess
Old 10-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With the Coralife 4x65w retro, I have the actinics come on at 11:00am, the 10,000's come on at 2:00pm. The 10,000's go off at 10:00pm, and the actinics go off at 11:00pm. Waiting for my new MH 250W retro. Gotta get it in the timing mix as well. Oh Lord!

Mike
Old 10-27-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A small clean up crew would help. I woundn't use any chemicals to get rid of the diatoms. This will disappear in time with water changes, and as the tank matures. It can look pretty ugly in the beginning, but it will calm down. BTW, did you use tap water, or RO? This can make a difference in algae blooms as well.

Mike
Old 10-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #10

I was undecided on what to use but after speaking to friend who had set one previously I decided to use tap water and treat it with dechlorinator.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com