Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help ???

I would love to start a marine tank eventually .... I was just woundering what size tank would be needed (smallest please) and what equipment etc .. to keep nemo fish (Clown fish i think) Please tell me roughly how much the equipment qwould cost. In "£" please if possible

Old 04-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Roughly 30$/gallon is the going rate for saltwater setup. You'll get some HIGHER and some way lower but I think that's a pretty safe place to start. I started with a 120 because I wanted a more stable system to start with though people commonly run with 30-55g tanks. You could keep a pair of Clownfish in a 15 or 20. The anemone that you invariably want to keep will need intense and expensive lighting in order to survive. They also need a system that is stable. Preferably a year old. The clowns can go in after the tank is cycled with raw shrimp and do not need a host anemone, contrary to popular opinion!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

you can setup a marine tank for around £600 brand new...with all you need to start off....(rock..sand ..tank(stand) heater.. filter..testers..u will also need to change the lighting on your hood too(although not necessary for startoff)
for a 35gallon....personally i would not go any lower than a 35G
Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to GoodFish
i have just started and with the tank, LS, LR, heaters, powerheads, testkit, hydrometeor, and stand im already sunk in at about $500..However, im sitting here looking at my tank and it is WORTH THE expense! ! ! ! ......i was thinking about starting off with a small tank just as you...but once you read about saltwater tanks.....you will find out that it is more convenient to but a larger tank....I have a 50 gal. oceanic tank w/ stand and my opinion, i wouldnt go any lower than that... you can prolly sneak in a 40 gal. but... this is no hobby to start then drop it is an EXPENSE!! so bofore you make any choices.....READ READ READ and READ!!!!!!! read the posts and Ask a lot of questions.....everyone here on AA are GREAT..and they will help you out all the way!!!

I hope you enjoy your tank and if you have any questions i can help just PM me
Argonite playsand(about 4-5" deep)
Wet/Dry filter with lr rubble
30lbs. of base rock from hirocks.com
70lbs lr from lr.com-30 keys 10 gulf
mag drive 7 pump
ro water - about 60 gal w/ sump
clean up crew....nearing the end of cycle
GoodFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
trust me, i also have a 50 gallon tank, which is bigger then i expected to buy, and i ALREADY WANT A BIIGGER TANK, this is really addicting, the bigger the tank, the more stable, the more room for growth, and the happier you will be, but keep in mind, it is expensive. I would say roughly 1000 bucks to get one up and running.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanx Everyone
Old 04-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol i really want a bigger tank.....i wish i would have spent that extra money in the first place...35gall just aint big enuff for me (

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com