HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted this problem in sick fish and couldn't get any real answers, originally I thought this was a predatory crab or shrimp if not a disease, but had no luck catching any predators. This is getting worse, what is wrong with my fish?

Attachments

• 10_dec.jpg
    10_dec.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 1_dec.jpg
    1_dec.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 254
  • new_tang_112.jpg
    new_tang_112.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 52
Could you post your water parameters? There may be something in there to clue us in. What are you feeding him? He looks pretty chewed up.

looks like some serious fin erosion. I've heard that stray voltage in the tank can have that effect. I would qt him and fortify his diet with Soecon.

You can tell it is fin Erosion and not predatory behavior because the part of the fin that is receding is in between the spines and fairly uniform in it gression. Nearly always, attacks will take a single big chunk or several chunks including the spine and be much less uniform.

Not so sure you are dealing with a predator so much as a health issue.

Is the red coloration above the caudal bone a trick of the lighting or actually on the fish?

Cheers
Steve

It is hard to tell. It could very well be a nutritional issue. Please post what you feed as well as suppliments.

The red is deffinately there and I will QT ASAP, paramaters (old, will update but should be close)

amm/nitrite: 0
nitrate: less than 5
pH 7.9

I feed him formula 1 (or 2 have to double check) and seaweed. I was using a seachem buffer, can't remember which one, but it was one that "safely raised pH to 8.3 even with overdosing..." But haven't used that lately.

There was probably a week stint where he wasn't getting seaweed, but before that it was atleast every other day and he was digressing... Now I've been giving it every day.

A pH of 7.9 is a bit of a concern, especially for this species of fish. It can be one of the causes for an issue like this but unfortunately not the only. Do a few good sized water changes to see if that improves the pH some. The water changes will also elevate the pH at a more comfortable rate for the fish that the buffer. Buffers are good in a "quick fix" application but not a long term solution. The water changes will also reduce potential DOC feeding opportunistic bacteria.

If the redness does not lessen or gets worse, you will need to treat in a QT tank. If the fish is eating, Nitrofurazone @ 30 mg/gal for 5 days should do the trick. If that's not available to you let me know.

Cheers
Steve

I retested my water and the pH is actually something between 8.0 and 8.1 and the nitrates are a little higher than I thought, 10-15. I'm taking steps to reduce them (just bought 120 lbs base rock, will do partial water changes, and increased current flow through my bio bed) I also bought a multimeter to test for stray voltage, some selcon, garlic gaurd, and some formula 2 small pellets (currently have formula 1 flakes, dried seaweed, and some other pellets)

Back
Top Bottom