Help! Algae is going crazy red and green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank before sand removal

Attachments

• 1398733129402.jpg
    1398733129402.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 164
What's your rodi testing at ? You like to see under 2 ppm.
Have you got a phosphate test kit yet ?
When you bought the tank it was up and running ?
Was it crashed ?
Your rocks could be leaching phosphates to?

Sounds like the same situation I got myself Into ! Ask lots of questions! Use this forum, people on here are always willing to help and have helped me over time fix my tanks ! Just do what people tell you and they won't steer you wrong !

Best thing I ever learned about this hobby is go slow ! Don't rush!

I havent thought of testing the RO water thats a good idea . Yes I got the phosphate tester im going to do a waterchange friday and test before and after everything I can test for I will post results here friday or saterday. The tank was running and healthy when I got it in fact a fish was still in the sand when I got it home (got him back to the store safe) Thank you all so much for helping me I would be lost with google serching everything.

Never thought of the ro possibly not at full function, great thought

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya ... My rodi filters plugged because my waste valve failed and my ppm went from 2 to 200 ! In my area that like using tap water!
One of my favourite things about this hobby is that we seem to be a tight knit community and always wanna help and see tanks succeed !

Agreed, it's always good to be able to get a bunch of opinions quick, and nice when you can maybe help someone else who has a issue you've already had

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After 4 days its all back... rodi tests near zero. Dident have time to test tank update tomaro what should I do to clean this out aggen.

Attachments

• 1398906171315.jpg
    1398906171315.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 79
It was live sand. And 45 lbs of live rock. To start cycle.

I have 60 lbs of live rock and it was live sand..

Update: tank still looks like crap got to testing and this is what I got
Salt:1.023
Nitrate: 15ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia:15ppm
Ph: 7.2
Phosphate: .20
So this is gitting out of control im consitering moving fish and coral and recycling the tank. What do you guys think I should do. Thanks

If you have ammonia in your tank, it either wasn't cycled, added all your livestock at once and overwhelmed the bacteria in your tank, or you have ammonia coming into your tank from your water source.
I suspect the water you are using is causing all of your issues.

What is your setup? I had that problem now none! Are you using RO/DI water?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a good start! I would change out 15G with RO/DI water and run lights only 6hrs and add a UV . A good skimmer!!!!!!! Add some more live rock!!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is clean I got new sand and 40 more pounds of live rock... it looks amazing I just hope it dosent come back. My RODI tests all 0s so I dont think its the supply..with all new sand in the tank i think its going to workout....

Update: I have got all the red away and its staying away there is a cople peace still on live rock but not to bad. Thanks all :)

I've heard that some people will remove the sand but it in a bucket suspend it and dump the excess water off the top and replaced the sand anyone think that could be an alternative to having to buy new sand for this guy?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 90G... How is your water flow? My tank has 2400 gph and Skimmer is 350 gph= Rate 120G my light are on 8hrs 4hrs blue 4hrs white auto feeder once a day.

Back
Top Bottom