Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HELP Anenome Turned Inside Out

Hi there we are new to the saltwater community. We started a 90 gallon saltwater tank about 6 months ago and today we got our first Condy anenome. We acclimated it in the bag for about half an hour then gently let it float into the tank. It floated for about 5 minutes while expanding to about double its size. Then drifted to the bottom of the tank and found its way under one of the rocks. It then proceeded to turn itself inside out and looks a little shriveled. This was about 4 hours ago and it hasn't moved since. Is this normal or is it dead? We had the water tested at our local store and everything is normal. All of our fish are fine too. We have the correct wattage of light in the tank too. Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you drip acclimate it? Anemones are really sensitive to changes in water chemistry. I'm pretty sure it's still alive. Probably acclimating to your tank. Best keep an eye on it though

Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No we let it float in the bag on top of water for about 20 minutes and then my husband opened bag and let some of our tank water into bag for about 10 more minutes and then we let it in. It seems to be filling out a little more now it was looking like a garlic clove now seems fuller and we can see some tentacles peaking out on the bottom
Old 11-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may take a little while to get used to its new home, hopefully it comes out to a place you can see it
Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

At this point he can stay hidden I just don't want him to die.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Droneshooter
Mine did the same thing when I got it it will be fine tomorrow
But mine tends to do that a lot and I noticed it does it usually a day before my weekly water change or if I don't top off the tank for a day or to and my salinity goes up a little bit
Old 11-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Now we can see his orange foot and he seems to have righted himself but his tentacles are still all shriveled or deflated looking. He is starting to move upright now too! I hope he's coming back!!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree, as long as your water parameters are good he will come around, anemones are picky little things. lol
Did you let water from the stores bag into your tank by the way? Not sure if you know not to do that or not. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new critter!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! Yes when we let him into the tank we put all the water in as well.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh, in the future I would not do that. You should be ok for now cause its an invert and there shouldnt have been copper in the stores water BUT some stores run copper and if you pour their water in with yours you will have some serious problems.

Also, if there are any free floating parasites in their tanks you will introduce it to yours which is another not good thing.

Just scoop out the new critter and then add him. Corals and fish can be exposed to air for the time it takes to add them. The only thing you shouldnt expose to air are sponges....

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com