HELP Anenome Turned Inside Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnichols

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there we are new to the saltwater community. We started a 90 gallon saltwater tank about 6 months ago and today we got our first Condy anenome. We acclimated it in the bag for about half an hour then gently let it float into the tank. It floated for about 5 minutes while expanding to about double its size. Then drifted to the bottom of the tank and found its way under one of the rocks. It then proceeded to turn itself inside out and looks a little shriveled. This was about 4 hours ago and it hasn't moved since. Is this normal or is it dead? We had the water tested at our local store and everything is normal. All of our fish are fine too. We have the correct wattage of light in the tank too. Any ideas?

Did you drip acclimate it? Anemones are really sensitive to changes in water chemistry. I'm pretty sure it's still alive. Probably acclimating to your tank. Best keep an eye on it though

No we let it float in the bag on top of water for about 20 minutes and then my husband opened bag and let some of our tank water into bag for about 10 more minutes and then we let it in. It seems to be filling out a little more now it was looking like a garlic clove now seems fuller and we can see some tentacles peaking out on the bottom

At this point he can stay hidden I just don't want him to die.

Mine did the same thing when I got it it will be fine tomorrow
But mine tends to do that a lot and I noticed it does it usually a day before my weekly water change or if I don't top off the tank for a day or to and my salinity goes up a little bit

Now we can see his orange foot and he seems to have righted himself but his tentacles are still all shriveled or deflated looking. He is starting to move upright now too! I hope he's coming back!!!!

I agree, as long as your water parameters are good he will come around, anemones are picky little things. lol
Did you let water from the stores bag into your tank by the way? Not sure if you know not to do that or not. Just a thought.

Good luck with your new critter!

Thanks! Yes when we let him into the tank we put all the water in as well.

Ahh, in the future I would not do that. You should be ok for now cause its an invert and there shouldnt have been copper in the stores water BUT some stores run copper and if you pour their water in with yours you will have some serious problems.

Also, if there are any free floating parasites in their tanks you will introduce it to yours which is another not good thing.

Just scoop out the new critter and then add him. Corals and fish can be exposed to air for the time it takes to add them. The only thing you shouldnt expose to air are sponges....

Wow never realized that! We have always had freshwater tanks and released our creatures that way without any issues but from now on will definitely just scoop then out and into the tank.

Well he looked like he was starting to come back and now he is inside out again. Wondering if I we should take him back to the store tomorrow afternoon if he doesn't look normal by then? Or should we just leave him alone for another day or two? Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom