help anyone?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
sump leaking at fitting for return:drained main tank to below overflow...unplugged pump emptied the section of the sump that the fitting is on have the darn thing loosened now need to get the silicone off hopefully without cutting myself or using any chemicals that would hurt the fish any advice appreciated thanks lor

oh yea armed with razor blade screwdriver and vinegar what is my best bet thanks

Is it a bulkhead? Does it have a rubber gasket? I personally have never been fond of using silicone to make a seal for bulkheads, that is what the gasket is for. I would use the blade and remove all the silicone from the hole, and clean the area with FW and replace the bulkhear and the gasket. If you can get all the silicone off the bulkhead, you could simply replace the gasket.

yppers has a rubber gasket that much i do know so i need a new rubber gasket and do not use the silicone that is the way he had it set up hum you think the silicone ruined the gasket?

ok hubby is home and took over the razor work (my hero again) gasket is fine would it be over kill to have a gasket on inside and out? and thank you kindly for your very fast response :)

would it be over kill to have a gasket on inside and out?

IMO yes, and it may cause it to leak. The gasket should not be on the "nut" side of the bulkhead, it could get wrinkled makeing it impossible to seal properly.

ok wonderful...25 kudos for your trouble and a load of thanks.

I always go 'finger tight' on my bulkhead nut. But then again you might want to use a wrench and go 1/4 turn past finger tight.

thanks all here is the new plan of attack the hole is just plain 2 big it is 1 and 3/4 for a1 1/2 in bulkhead...so hubby is in basement as i type drilling a 1/2 in hole in a piece of acrylic to silicon to the tank wall wish us luck i will let you know sometime tomorrow when we can add the water if this worked...this is the 3rd try and 3 is one of my fav numbers so i am thinking (fingers crossed) that this should do the trick...on the bright side just think of all we have learned today

Back
Top Bottom