Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
Luck you lol. I wish I got lucky
Lol just a heads up. Mostly all corals "slime up". You just gotta be quick with putting them in place. Put glue on plug/rock then real quick, put frag on

Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

kenya and xienia both tend to oozz so its hard to glue best to either tie it on a piece of rubble or like fish fry said panty hose work too just never thought of that

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
kenya and xienia both tend to oozz so its hard to glue best to either tie it on a piece of rubble or like fish fry said panty hose work too just never thought of that
I've only ever done it once and just that one time only and had no problem so like I said, guess I got lucky lol was just like gluing a piece of Sps lol
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

not saying can't be done its just never 100% it's going to stay
I did it that way once with no success so I just like the string method seems to work for me better now on other corals glue all the way
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm just speaking from my experience. And I have plenty, I have fragged mushrooms, xenia, zoas, kenya tree all kinds of softies. I have had luck getting the corals to stick with glue but it never holds long term for me. I put my frags in the tank and the flow eventually pulls them loose and they wind up behind the rocks never to be seen again. The panty hose works well on mushrooms because it forces them to attach naturally. Anything like kenya tree or xenia I tie with thread, I keep some clean oyster shells in my tank just for this purpose, they make great frag plugs.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the shell idea. I don't like plus because I don't have a lot of places to stick them I made a frag rack out of eggcrate for my new 9 frags I'm buying tomorrow. Some I already have but for $50 not gonna turn them down

Polythoas
Blassto
Kenya tree
Pulsating xenia
cabbage leather
Devils hand leather
Dragons eye polyp
Candy cane
Birds nest
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #37

Sounds like an awesome deal! And yes the oyster shell is great. I actually pick them up from a local park where they put them down for a driveway. I take them home and boil them in a pot of water on the stove to make sure they are nice and clean,.then rinse them in ro/di water a few times and drop them in my tank to let them become alive. You can break them with a hammer to get wherever size and shape pieces you need.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfrye View Post
Sounds like an awesome deal! And yes the oyster shell is great. I actually pick them up from a local park where they put them down for a driveway. I take them home and boil them in a pot of water on the stove to make sure they are nice and clean,.then rinse them in ro/di water a few times and drop them in my tank to let them become alive. You can break them with a hammer to get wherever size and shape pieces you need.
Yeah he's trying to get me to buy a bambam polyp for $15 more I'm gonna look for shells. Could I use freshwater mussel shells. I can pick up tons at river
Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfrye View Post
my wife found me a bunch of scallop shells at the dollar store that I plan on using for adding frags there just too nice to smash though thinking of making a zoa garden with them who knows what else
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c 001.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	155416   Click image for larger version

Name:	c 002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	155417  

Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #40

Yeah you can use any type of shell just make sure they are clean before using them. Those scallop shells are going to look nice full of frags. About the bam bam zoas I think the "designer zoas" are way overpriced. $15 for one polyp is crazy, if it was a 5 plus head frag yeah but one single polyp I dont see it. Have you ever checked out reefs2go.com? They have an email service you can sign up for and they send you alerts about sales they are having so often. I ordered 5 different zoa frags from them about a month ago and they were all 5 plus heads I paid 30 dollars shipping included.

Tags
chi, kenya, kenya tree

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com