Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!!...Beginner with a 200 gallon tank!!

Ok, a guy a work for is selling me a 200 gallon salt water setup on the cheap. (like $500 cheap couldnt pass up) The tank is being purchased with full salt water filtration system (I will get back to you exactly what) lighting for live rock; habitated by very few fish and establishe live rock and coral (again...I will get back to you what types) I am paying to have the whole setup moved to my house. My only aqaurium experience is a 30 gallon fresh water, so I NEED help!.... Any beginners Do's and Dont's are appreciated. Help me out I really have No idea what I am doing.

.............I plan on posting a multitude of questions since I am green in the aqauriom biz. Thanks

KCChief85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Read, research, and watch

There are so many different thing to know when it comes to saltwater setups, the good thing is you have a HUGE tank and its way harder to mess up because of such a great water volume. But when it comes to knowing what to do, do tons of research, read a bunch of forums, and watch a lot of videos. No one person can write you back on here and tell you everything you need to know or it would be pages and pages long. Know whats in your tank fish and coral wise and read up on them. I got my first saltwater tank without knowing what i was doing and that was 3-4 months ago and im still reading and watching videos and learning everyday. Also go to your LFS (local fish store) where your going to make plenty of trips to I assume and find someone who is very knowledgeable in saltwater tell them about your setup and pick their brains and ask tons of questions. Hope this helps this hobby is very addictive so WATCH OUT. lol But have FUN

VinnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Honestly the best thing you can do right now is read, read, read. The articles here on AA are very good:

Saltwater - Aquarium Advice

Best thing is to get a grasp of the SW world and then ask detailed questions after you've got a decent base from which to understand SW tanks.
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Get a good test kit for pH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, calcium, and carbonate hardness (kH or dKh). Magnesium is another I'd suggest. Invest in a refractometer. Bulk Reef Supply has an inexpensive one and there are also some on ebay. Invest in an RODI unit because runnign back and forht from a store for water changes to tote water back and forth 20 gallons or more at a time would be a real pain in the keister. (Tapwater in saltwater tanks leads to nuisance algae outbreaks that will make your tank UGLY.)
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote

beginner, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com