Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

first off, buying fish is no way to "test your tank" I would stop taking any advice from that store. Unless you have no other choice, personaly, I would also stop buying anything from that store.

We're going to have a hard time giving you any real help until you buy test kits from a pet store to test the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and Specific Gravity. It really helps to know what those levels are in your tank and are things you should test for regularly.

In terms of your equipment, whats "Correct" is a matter of opinion and everyone has different opinions.

I think most people here would tell you to remove the under gravel filter.
The Wet dry I would change, but you're fine with it if it is properly cared for.
Your lights is sufficient for Fish Only. I wont get into other form of lighting as you need to take care of the rest of the tank and get it stable before you even consider corals.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I completely agree with BillyZ. You need those test kits if you're going to make progress. The results will go a long way towards diagnosing your problems. Equiptment can be flexible, you're on the right track with a wet-dry and skimmer instead of a canister filter, we can talk about improving the system after we take care of the basics. You should be able to run a Fish Only tank with your current setup, we can think about upgrading to reef after we see stable water parameters, and healthy fish.

Hopefully you're rotating between all those foods instead of using them all at each feeding? Good job, variety is good for the fish.

Some people debate about the usefulness of brine shrimp as a food. I think it's fine in rotation with other foods. I personally like to have a bit of ice cream, or popcorn now and then, without regard to it's nutritional value. Did you get the brine shrip eggs, the frozen cubes, the freze dried ones, or live? I'm sure we can get you directions.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I get the brine shrip eggs
Old 04-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hatching Brine Shrimp Eggs : http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...Brine%20shrimp

If you don't want to buy aquarium salt, start with your pre-mixed saltwater, and add table salt to bring the specific gravity up. You need a hydrometer or refractometer anyway to monitor your main aquarium, here's an extra reason to pick one up.

Brine shrimp are very nutritious right after hatching. They can also be grown larger, but it's a time consuming and difficult project, best left for when you don't have other problems on your hands.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

how about the plankton
Old 04-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You also got plankton eggs? Rotifer Eggs perhaps? Or is it liquid plankton?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
You also got plankton eggs? Rotifer Eggs perhaps? Or is it liquid plankton?

it's just like red dried plankton
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just feed it like flake or granular food then. Optionally, soak it in one of those vitamin fluids you have before serving it.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

question what is the right level for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and Ph.

what do you think guy's do I need to remove my under gravel filter?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your talking about food when you have more important issues to deal with??
Take the coral back or it will die over time..
TEST kits are needed..
If you really want our help you will get the water tested and post some numbers.
Lr how much? Take the coral back and get more LR if you only have a small amount. Or invest in better lighting ASAP if you plan on keeping that coral.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com