Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzool
not knowing how efficient the chillers are, I'm just curious, but would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a chiller since window a/c units aren't known for their efficiency?
Talk about inefficiency. A chiller cools the water, then spits the heat into the room, which gets absorbed by the aquarium over time....

Unless you can vent the chiller's heat dissipation coils to the outdoors, you're actually heating the room while chilling the tank. It's like trying to stay cool by leaving the refrigerator door open.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I understand why it’s so hot now You guys don’t cool off till June usually and even then it’s in the upper 70’s (25C).

Found a AC unit on Ebay (Philippines) going for 13,000.00 Pesos ($250.00 US) & another one for 9,500 so it looks like they are somewhat reasonable.

Fish can tolerate that kind of heat for a short while but eventually it will lead to trouble. A chiller isn’t going to cut it for this kind of year round hot climate.

P.S. Found a 3 bedroom house for $29,000 US also 8O

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanx!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a live SWF right now and thanx! for the advice...

by the way I have 30 kilos of LR is that enough for my 50gal?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Don't have to move that far. My house was $14,000 US, only needed minor work when we moved in. City houses around here are very cheap, everyone wants to live in the subburbs where the good schools are, but if you don't have kids yet, buying in the city is a great oppurtunity to stop paying rent.

http://rochestercityliving.com/listi...3.x=98&I3.y=18
Old 04-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by finest
by the way I have 30 kilos of LR is that enough for my 50gal?
That's 66 lbs? That sounds about right for most types of live rock. (Denisty varies greatly by source.) Use your eye as judgement, you want a fairly impressive rock wall, with caves and ledges for the fish to hide in/under.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Regular

I’m just afraid because of the weight of the LR it may break the glass or it’s just fine.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

The glass can hold the weight, the problem comes with "point loads" (if all the weight is foccused on a single point.) Many people put some kind of hard plastic sheet under the rocks, such as the "starboard" cutting board material, or light diffuser grid. I've also seen assemblies of PVC to keep the rock up off the glass. Simply leaving a good layer of sand under the rock can also alliviate the problem, but is not as stable in the long run as some fish and inverts will dig in the sand, and may destabilize the rock.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok! do you know some information about marine beta...

I like to add 10 kilos of LR again so all in all it will be 40 kilos, so do you think my aquarium can hold this weight.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by finest
ok! do you know some information about marine beta...

I like to add 10 kilos of LR again so all in all it will be 40 kilos, so do you think my aquarium can hold this weight.
I don't know about marine bettas, but here's a website: http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/...altivelis.html

As far as the rock goes, is your rock on top of the sand/gravel? If so, I think you'll be fine, just make sure your pile is stable, falling rocks can damage the ront/back glass.

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com