Help Bro. & Sis. Beginner Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finest

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! Bro. & Sis. :D I have a Question? well before my question I like to tell you my Aquarium setup. I have a 50gal Aquarium, 1 turbo skimmer w/ power head, 1 overhead filter w/ 2 power head, 1 overhead filter w/ 1 power head, 2 under gravel filter and 1 80w light. now my question, 1st question is if you notice I have 3 power head for my 2 overhead filter I just need to know what will I do because every time i but a coral, anemones, feather duster or tube worm they die I don't know what to do coz I think the problem is the current or the wave inside of my aquarium I need help on this one. 2nd is I don’t know how to feed my coral beauty I’ve tried to use flakes, granules and plankton but still my coral beauty don’t eat and I’m afraid that it will died. Pls… help me thanx in advance

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Do you have any test kits? Could you post the results of those kits?

What kind of water and salt are you using?

You have crushed coral?

More questions later, but I don't want to overwhem you.

No way 80 watts of light is enough for any coral in a 50 gallon tank.

I do not have a test kits

I've use a mix for salt water

the only fish live on my aquarium is 1 damsel & 1 cardinal fish

there is alot going on in your tank, under gravel filters are old school and IMO not ment for a reef tank.
Test kits, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and Ph are kits needed to keep the tank running well. You should get these kits and post the readings of the tests.
What type of water do you use?
80 watts NO lighting is not enough for an anemone and 98% of the corals. I have kept Kenya Tree Corals under 80 watts NO lighting for months with growth so it is possible.. But you need to tell about your water quality first..

The start to fish and coral health is good water, then good enviroment.

If your tap water is not extremely pure, you need to get an RO/DI unit, or buy RO/DI water at the grocery store or pet store. This mixed with a good brand of salt, allowed to circulate overnight in a bucket before being added to the aquarium, is the starting point of good water quality. Pre-mixed saltwater from your local fish store may also be of good quality, but you might want to find out what they use to mix it.

I've used Pre-mixed from our local pet store... I've tried 1 coral right known Elegant Coral is their any possibility that this coral will live for 80w light? I'm a beginner for a saltwater aquarium, I've tried to add some vit. from fresh but I don't know if it's right, and I notice a red spot on my fish I don't know what to do I don't know what to do in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and Ph if i see these... what if ex. I have high level of this element what could I do?

Elegance corals are among the hardest of all corals to keep alive. Did you cycle your tank? Did the LFS know your setup and still sell you the elegance? :nono: You need to do some reading in the articles section. Link is at top of page.

The saltwater mix you are buying _should_ have the ideal levels of all elements/compounds. If it doesn't you're wasting your money. Usually if something gets out of wack it is either due to A) not enough water changes, or B) something is wrong that we need to help you fix. Unfortunately, there are alot of ways for a beginner to go wrong and get the water all out of wack. Even an experienced aquarist who starts a new tank has to wait for the tank to break in before delicate corals can survive in it.

On our local pet shop they just tell what to buy and that's it they give advice but they just always tell buy this fish and that… etc… etc… to test the water.

This is my Aquarium setup again.

- 50gal
- 2 wet and dry filter w/ 3 power head
- 1 turbo skimmer w/ 1 power head
- 2 under gravel filter
- 80W light
- few LR
- regular sand

Please give me advice if my aquarium setup is correct or I need to remove or add more devices on my aquarium or is this good for reef tank or fish only tank.

This is the food I have for my fish

- flakes
- granules
- brine shrimp ( I don’t know how to use it because there is no procedure on the package)
- plankton ( I don’t know how to use it because there is no procedure on the package)
- prime poly aqua (vitamins)
- angel drops vita (vitamins)

Please guide me or give more in how to feed or proper procedure for feeding my fishy… fishy…

first off, buying fish is no way to "test your tank" I would stop taking any advice from that store. Unless you have no other choice, personaly, I would also stop buying anything from that store.

We're going to have a hard time giving you any real help until you buy test kits from a pet store to test the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and Specific Gravity. It really helps to know what those levels are in your tank and are things you should test for regularly.

In terms of your equipment, whats "Correct" is a matter of opinion and everyone has different opinions.

I think most people here would tell you to remove the under gravel filter.
The Wet dry I would change, but you're fine with it if it is properly cared for.
Your lights is sufficient for Fish Only. I wont get into other form of lighting as you need to take care of the rest of the tank and get it stable before you even consider corals.

I completely agree with BillyZ. You need those test kits if you're going to make progress. The results will go a long way towards diagnosing your problems. Equiptment can be flexible, you're on the right track with a wet-dry and skimmer instead of a canister filter, we can talk about improving the system after we take care of the basics. You should be able to run a Fish Only tank with your current setup, we can think about upgrading to reef after we see stable water parameters, and healthy fish.

Hopefully you're rotating between all those foods instead of using them all at each feeding? Good job, variety is good for the fish.

Some people debate about the usefulness of brine shrimp as a food. I think it's fine in rotation with other foods. I personally like to have a bit of ice cream, or popcorn now and then, without regard to it's nutritional value. :) Did you get the brine shrip eggs, the frozen cubes, the freze dried ones, or live? I'm sure we can get you directions.

Hatching Brine Shrimp Eggs : http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/common_foods.htm#Brine shrimp

If you don't want to buy aquarium salt, start with your pre-mixed saltwater, and add table salt to bring the specific gravity up. You need a hydrometer or refractometer anyway to monitor your main aquarium, here's an extra reason to pick one up.

Brine shrimp are very nutritious right after hatching. They can also be grown larger, but it's a time consuming and difficult project, best left for when you don't have other problems on your hands.

dskidmore said:
You also got plankton eggs? Rotifer Eggs perhaps? Or is it liquid plankton?

it's just like red dried plankton

Just feed it like flake or granular food then. Optionally, soak it in one of those vitamin fluids you have before serving it.

question what is the right level for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and Ph.

what do you think guy's do I need to remove my under gravel filter?

Your talking about food when you have more important issues to deal with??
Take the coral back or it will die over time..
TEST kits are needed..
If you really want our help you will get the water tested and post some numbers.
Lr how much? Take the coral back and get more LR if you only have a small amount. Or invest in better lighting ASAP if you plan on keeping that coral.

Back
Top Bottom