Help! Crack in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 168 gallon glass tank with curved corners, when setting up the tank for the first time today one of the overflow boxes fell into the tank before there was water in it. It cracked a piece of glass. It was the piece in the corner of the bottom of the tank (not the bottom of the tank or the side), but a piece of glass in the bottom corners of the tank. Neither the bottom or side was impacted by this. I filled the tank up outside to test it and filled it to the top. It helled water so I pounded on the side and in side the bottom. It still held. Does anyone have any input. I have the tank filled now and it is doing fine will it leak or brake wide open? Do tanks Shatter when they have cracks. If its fine now will it be ok forever? Thanks!

I have already ran my head into the wall many time now so please be easy on me.

Not right now. I have no camera! I know it is hard to diagnose with no visual. I will get one up as soon as I can.

Yes, hard to say. Post the pic whenever you can.
I would hold off on setting up for now though.

Please hold off for now. The weight of the water over time could cause the crack to expand or the glass to shatter at the point of the crack. I wonder if teh crackis repairable, like a crack or small star in a windshield?

It was the piece in the corner of the bottom of the tank (not the bottom of the tank or the side), but a piece of glass in the bottom corners of the tank.
8O I read this 5-6 times trying to figure out which piece is actually cracked. I am still lost? :lol:

Agree. This part “piece of glass in the bottom corners of the tank.” is the most confusing. Most of us have not seen glass in a tank that wasn’t the actual tank glass. Also I can’t see the weight of an overflow causing a crack in the main glass since they are designed to withstand pretty heavy abuse due to the weight they have to hold.

This is a reef ready predrilled tank isn’t it? Did it crack the plumbing part where the hole is drilled? Is the cracked piece something that can be replaced since it’s not “part of the tank”?

Sorry for the delay guys. I have been away. It is really hard to describe as I am sure you can see. I was still really uncomfortable with the crack even though I had three places evaluate the crack and they all said it "should" be fine. That was not alright with me so I sold it. Thanks again for all of the help!

Back
Top Bottom