Help cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for just a 29G that shrimp should have raised the ammonia some how long were you cycling before you put the shrimp in?

Maybe 2 weeks. I had the rocks in the tank a week before my test kit came in. the following week I added the shrimp.

The best way to tell if a tank is cycled is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate.

it might be possible for you to miss a cycle AND have 0 nitrate IF you have large amounts of algae to suck up the nitrate.

I highly doubt that you would see no ammonia, but if you want to be 100% sure, you can always does it with ammonia. If you have 0 ammonia/ nitrite after that, you're for sure cycled :D

What kind of shrimp did you use? I'm going to drop another one in the tank tomorrow and wait the weekend and if I see nothing then dose with ammonia on monday.

Same here, I got lucky because my mom was planning to cook shrimp the same night I started my tank. When I took one and started walking up stairs, she asked me what I was doing and I said I was going to raise it in my tank. Her expression was priceless :D

Someone on another thread said that the production date is on the test bottles. Last for numbers represent MMYY

I looked at my uncle's test kit when I was testing and everything was either 0111 or 0311. Yours is kinda old =P. I don't know how old it would have to be for it to give wrong results. I don't trust my LFS since they don't follow the booklet when they test.

I couldn't take it anymore, after the second shrimp and the second ammonia test kit I was getting the same results so I went out and got me some pure ammonia. Dosed the tank and now my level of ammonia is where I want it... 8.0

Back
Top Bottom