Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you asking in terms of, say, water changes... Changing 10% of 20 gallons vs 15- so changing 2 gallons or 1.5?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87
Or am I just talking a load of crap and it Dosent equate to anything and it's actually still just a 20 gallon tank with good filtration.
Haha I would treat it as a 20 gallon. That's kinda the thing with live rock is you want real porous stuff so there is NOT a lot of displacement...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I guess the more porous the rock is the more surface area you have for good bacteria to grow. Regarding the water changes I think
I'll do 25% for the first couple months then slowly lower it until I find the perfect level for my tank. I am worried about parasites and diseases tho. Is there anything I can do to minamize the risks?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quarantine any new fish you get for 3-4 weeks in a separate tank. Unless you have a LFS that does a true quarantine (I'm fortunate enough to)... This is really the only way to completely not risk disease. And you will really only need to do 1 large water change right after you see trates... From then on 10% weekly should do it as long as trate levels are staying low. I keep my salinity at 1026, some say this helps a bit on the disease control, and make sure you have good water quality. Check params every few days.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking about the fish I would like and understand the tank is quite small as far as marine goes. Ideally I would like a pair of clowns, bi colour dwarf angel, cleaner wrasse some
Kind of goby and either an emperor cardinal or pyjama cardinal. Then the normall cleaner crew couple shrip hermit craps and snails. Would
This work or would I be massively over crowing the tank?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
Fish R friends, not food!

IMO you may be jumping the gun a little bit. If your ammonia is .25 and has never been higher or lower, your tank is not processing it. If it was you would have had nitrItes and nitrAtes. I would dose with pure ammonia or some other source to 4ppm and test in 24 hours. If your cycle is complete you would then see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and some pretty high nitrAtes. Then you will know for sure that you are cycled. Then PWC and ready for fish! Again, just my experience. I did cycle my 75 gallon with 100 lbs of cured live rock and it happened in 8 days, so its possible. But, I did what I just described to make sure. But, again I think if you were cycled a) you would have 0ppm ammonia and b) you would have some nitrAtes.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87 View Post
I was thinking about the fish I would like and understand the tank is quite small as far as marine goes. Ideally I would like a pair of clowns, bi colour dwarf angel, cleaner wrasse some
Kind of goby and either an emperor cardinal or pyjama cardinal. Then the normall cleaner crew couple shrip hermit craps and snails. Would
IMO, 6 fish in a 20 gallon is overstocked. I have 4 in a 29. I have a clown, wardi goby, pygmy angel and lawnmower blenny. I will be getting a mate for the single clown, so I will have 5.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87
Well i can already ex off 2 fish for you. Cleaner wrasses do horrible in aquariums so i highly suggest you dont get one, and the bicolor gets 6" long... And thats too big for a 20 IMO. Maybe replace the bicolor with a smaller dwarf? That sucks too because the bicolor is my favorite...
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know the tank isn't cycled yet and not going
To add fish until I am sure. I was going to wait till I see nitrates than add some pure ammonia to double check that these come down quickly then do a water change and re test then when the nitrates have got close or at 0 ppm then I'll add 1 maybe 2 fish. I would only add 2 if I got a clown because I want a mates pair.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercy87 View Post
I know the tank isn't cycled yet and not going
To add fish until I am sure. I was going to wait till I see nitrates than add some pure ammonia to double check that these come down quickly then do a water change and re test then when the nitrates have got close or at 0 ppm then I'll add 1 maybe 2 fish. I would only add 2 if I got a clown because I want a mates pair.
Good plan! How much live rock did you start with?

Tags
cycling, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com