Help! Don't understand my GH API test result?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishless cycle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just started to convert my freshwater tank to brackish after realising that my bumblebee gobies should be in brackish water. I've only just got the salinity to 1.001 and I bought a GH and KH liquid test kit. My KH is reading 9 dKH / 161.1ppm but I can't get a reading from my GH. The results on the chart are from 1 drop - 12 drops but I'm already on 23 drops and the colour is still orange and hasn't turned green yet. The test kit is within the EXP date: 08/2015

Should I be worried?

Ahh just noticed the kit I bought is for freshwater so I could use this on my freshwater tank but I guess for brackish i will need a saltwater kit is that right?

GH is for freshwater. You only need KH for salt. Why are you testing for brackish? IMO, no need to test except for salinity.

GH is for freshwater. You only need KH for salt. Why are you testing for brackish? IMO, no need to test except for salinity.

Thanks for your feedback. Because my tap water is so high in nitrAte I have to buy RO water and the lfs said I should test it for GH and KH so I know how much of the mineral powder to add since I sometimes keep the RO for a few days and they said the PH will be changing all the time. I find it a bit confusing. I get mixed advice from different lfs staff. One said I have to use the RO immediately - then another said keep it as long as you need to before using it. Another said I must add the minerals straight away and then someone else said only add the minerals just before you use the RO for a water change.

I am in the process of adding salt to make a freshwater tank brackish for bumble bee gobies. The other tank I have is tropical.

Don't I need to test the brackish tank for KH or GH then?

Thanks for your feedback. I am a bit confused! My lfs gives me mixed advice depending on who I talk too.

Because my tap water is high in nitrAte I buy RO water but the lfs said I need to test it because the ph will keep changing. That's why I bought the tests. I am gradually adding aquarium salt to a freshwater tank to make it brackish as I was sold some bumblebee gobies who told me they were freshwater but from researching I gather they will be happier in brackish. I'm up to 1.002 salinity after two weeks of adding salt slowly to RO.

Do you know how long I can keep RO water for. Some lfs staff say I must use it straight away and others say I can keep it for weeks before using it. Then someone said I need to add the mineral powder just before I do the water change and someone else said I need to add it immediately. I'm a bit confused!??? If I test the RO and the ph is similar to what's in the fish tank then is it good to use?

What powder? If using RO, just add salt to water and mix to specific gravity and done.

The powder is called 'aquadur plus - hardening salts for soft water and osmosis water' - so shall I just use this for my freshwater and for the brackish just use the marine salt?

Also I have three 10 litre sealed containers of RO - is it still usable as I've had it for a few weeks and I wasn't sure if it goes off if its left without movement etc?

Yes. Use it for fresh only. Brackish is just like doing a saltwater tank. Only RO and salt. The salt mix will add alk, calcium and magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom