Help establishing a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McCoveyCove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a $15 20 gallon tank off of Craigslist, it came with a filter that requires cartridges that was used with the tank, a brand new heater, some rocks and decorations I probably won't use and misc. medicines and treatments. Here's: the tank and filter: http://imgur.com/a/spxVa . I plan on splitting it 7/13 and putting my Betta fish who is currently in a 2 gallon on the 7 gallon side and using the other 13 for Neon tetras and a couple African Dwarf frogs. I won't be putting fish in it till at least June 2nd. But I can set it up before hand. Here are my questions - How do I clean the tank and filter? I've rinsed it with high pressure on a garden hose and have wiped them both with paper towels but I figure I should clean it up more since there is still visible scud and still looks a little dirty. -the filter came with a used biofilter which I accidentally dropped in the grass and rinsed on high pressure with the same hose for some time, should I replace it? -what dangers come with splitting it like I am? What should I be aware of? -assuming I won't be getting fish to June 2nd when should I set it up at my future residents to start cycling? How can I cycle it if I won't always be there? - One last question, with my betta being in a 2 gallon till then, how often should I do full water changes and clean the gravel? I've been doing 2 50% each week and very small changes every day. I should also mention the tank had just been sitting in the guys closet for some time holding rocks, I believe it was a salt water aquarium before. Thank you for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

Sorry meant to post this in Freshwater which I have now, I'm not sure how to take it down but if the mods wouldn't mind doing it that'd be oaky. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom