Help Geting Started.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlonelyCody

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a empty 10 galon tank. i moved my freshwater fish out of it last night and i would like to make it a salt water tank. i have a heater and a filter for it. what and or how would i go about seting up a new salt water tank???

Thank you

well 10 gal in sw is not vary ez to keep. have you ever had a sw tank. if not you might want to keep it fw till you get the hang of what sw is all about.

Cody--look over this posting "Small tank----2.5 gallon" in the Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started forum. I also recommend finding a good book and reading the articles on SW here at Aquarium Advice and any articles you can find about SW in a small tank. I do not keep SW, but I am looking into a BW tank. From the reading I have done, there is a recommendation of a minimum of 30 gal for SW/BW due to water stability concerns. I have a 20 gal sitting around empty, which I would like to keep puffers and bumblebee gobies in, but that plan is on hold until I get more information.

Are you wanting to use your 10G tank to keep the costs down? If not, many would recommend getting a larger tank to start with because smaller volumes have are less forgiving with fluctuations. If you decided to get a bigger tank, your 10G will always be useful as a QT or a sump.

No it's just i have an extra tank and was wanting to do something salt water with it so i could learn more about it. i was thinking about puting some live rock in there after it was up and running, but i don't know if that would work or not. I know that it is a small tank but is there anything i can do salt water wise with my 10 gallon to gain some experance and knowlage on SW...

well you could try, the concern is that you need to spend a few bucks to get started in SW and you don't wanna spend the money and end up "throwing the towel in" from the potential frustrations that a smaller system can cause. just my thoughts though.

Back
Top Bottom