Help! Hydrometer Readings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhorgunn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a water change and a couple days later I loss my two clown fish. Checked the PH which had spiked. But ammonia was fine as well as the other peramiters. I took a hydrometer reading and it went off the chart. Went to do another and the hydrometer fell appart. Bought a new one ... it too went off the chart. Did another water change and several hydrometer readings.

When I did my intial water change I measured and got readings just below 32/1.024 both in the pail and the tank. With the new hydrometer I have gotten innacurate readings ... varying results ... but this morning it seems to of crept up to 1.032. I will return the new hydrometer this morning.

Is the salinity increassing and if so how? Water is clear. What would cause this. Temp is 79.6

Invest in a refractometer http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=REFRACT-PA&Category_Code=Hydrometer
These are a must in salt water the hydrometers are to easy to go off calibration . Try rinsing in vineigar and rinsing with distilled water . Just a little air bubble on the swing arm can cause a misreading .
How are you topping off ?
When you have evaporation it is just the H20 that evaporates if you top off with salt it will cause it to go high .
Also PH will change and increase with the lighting cycle . How old is the tank?
Since your water change water is high I would suggest getting ahold of a refracometer as you will need to add water to lower it . Is there any thing else in the tank right now or is it empty but for some LR and LS ?

I agree with Sadie, my hydros were pretty far off. If you are adding SW top-off water, that will definitely in crease your salinity. Also, if you are using different brands/types of hyrdometers, that could could give you different results.

I thought for a while my SG was fine. Come to realize after I invested in a refractometer my Salt level was off, The hydromoter said 1.023 and the real salt level was more like 1.028 checked with a refractometer 5points off. The Refractometer is the best investment you will ever make in this hobby.

I am using R/O water that I use A Filter Guys unit to get. I'm not using Salt Water to top off. Had the wife try and take back the hydrometer back to the pet store where I bought it but they played dumb and she just bought a new one. Compaired the 2. The 2nd one with just tap water reads 1.023 ..while the now new one reads 1.008. Think I'm going to bring a bottle of water with me and have a little science experiment at the pet store. Okay some how I'll come up with the cash for the refractometer. Right now our household has become one income.

Right now there are a humbug and a yt damsel. they seem to be okay and my friend at work thinks the clowns may of been victiums of aggression.

That very well could be they are both very agressive damsels and adding clowns (also damsels) is an over load ... But before you buy anything else get a refracometer it is one of the most important purchaces you will ever make . Then remove the 2 damsels if you wish to add any other fish . These guys will not allow it as they have their territory mapped out and will kill to protect it . :)

Bit the bullet and ordered one today and should be here by monday. Will follow your advise about stocking. Thanks for the help.

I got my refractometer. Oh my Gosh ... using a hydrometer is so stone age. One problem solved ... Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom