Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Matt has you on the right track here. It may all seem pretty crazy when you start but establishing a system and a routine is key, and eventually it becomes really easy.
You can get away with doing maybe a slightly larger PWC (partial water change) every 2 weeks if you are running a FO (fish only) or FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank depending on the stocking.
Bulkreefsupply.com and airwaterice.com are good places to get RO/DI systems.
Good luck! keep asking questions!

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

worth looking in to

hi
im new to this game as well and i dont like having to mix salt water . i dont no to much but ive been looking at a aquaripure nitrate fillter.which they claim you will not need to do water changes and it will controll alge growth . i dont no if they are any good maybe the guys can shed some light for me and you . they are quite expencive, but if it works it will pay for its self.sounds good to me.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Airwaterice.com is where I got my RO/DI system. Working great now for over a year...

I dont believe in magic cures for things such as nitrate removal. Nothing beats PWC since that directly removes the nitrates/phosphates.
For example:
20ppm nitrates. A 20% PWC will remove 0.2(20ppm) = 4ppm nitrates. Just like that.
Salt and water is much cheaper than magic pads too.

Some things, such as GFO, are good at removing phosphates. They are good to use since they have been proven to work. GFO is relatively cheap too.

I dont do anything special and my nitrates are zero. I feed responsibly and do PWC about once a week. (20%).

Also, PWC are REQUIRED as they add elements used up by the aquarium processes. No matter what you add, you still have to do PWC. I wouldnt let a tank go more than 2 weeks no matter what my parameters were.

Like Jimbo said, you got to get into a routine. I started off looking for every which way to get out of PWC and found that nothing beats good hard work and patience.

Trust me, im a doctor.
Matt
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #14

At bulkreefsupply.com which unit is good. Is the 5 stage plus a good unit for $200. Please let me know...

Also what does 75 GPD mean?

I am so sorry about all the questions?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin75 View Post
At bulkreefsupply.com which unit is good. Is the 5 stage plus a good unit for $200. Please let me know...

Also what does 75 GPD mean?

I am so sorry about all the questions?
You can get a decent one for around $100.00 if you look around. They dont change very much with price. More $$$ usually means more bells and whistles that you can do without.

75GPD means 75 gallons per day. Divide by 24 hours in a day and you get gallons per hour, which is a more useful unit of measure.

Dont feel bad about the Qs, you should see how many most of us have asked to get where we are today!

Matt
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #16

what does that mean, I will only be able to use 75 gallons a day?

I am lost on that.

Does it mean it only filters 75 gallons?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

yea it will filter 75 gallons per day. They can be pretty slow.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4pm View Post
hi
im new to this game as well and i dont like having to mix salt water .
i dont no to much but ive been looking at a aquaripure nitrate fillter.which they claim you will not need to do water changes and it will controll alge growth ....
Water changes in saltwater do more than get rid of nitrates. They also put back into the tank what your fish/crabs/snails/corals are taking out. NOTHING eliminates water changes... if you want a healthy tank. There is no magic cure to eliminate water changes and make perfect tanks. If there was, this forum wouldn't exist.

If you don't like mixing salt water, then it sounds like you're going to have to like hauling buckets of premixed saltwater from your local fish store every other week. Mixing and storing your own, in the end, is actually a huge time and money saver.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #19

hi they dont claim that they eliminate water changes all together they say that you will need to do them about every 2 to 3 months to put trace elements back into the tank . roller has 3 masif tanks that would save him alot of time and money.they have 100 percent feedback on ebay .
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may appear that it would save time, but doing one water change every 2-3 months - in the long run - will cost you a lot of time and money after the tank crashes.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com