Help!I don't know if I can have a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a tank yesterday.It a 45g (36 1/4" X 12 5/8"X 28 3/4) and the stand is 36 5/8" X 12 3/4 X 28 3/4. I measured underneath the stand and its approx. 34" X 11 1/4" X 18" all the sump kits or sump enclosures are good for the length and the width but are to high.I know I need clearance to do maintenance.Here is a pic.Can I still do a sump or do I need to do something else?Any suggestion will be appreciated!:fish2:

Attachments

• tank stand.jpg
    tank stand.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 115
You should be able to fit a 20g in there but will only leave you 2 inches of height clearance. A 10g tank is only 12" high. This may be better for you.

Okay that sounds great, but...my hubby needs reassurance that it won't stink,won't fail and won't overflow.I am still researching so telling him that I have read that it is possible to have a sump that won't stink,can be less likely to fail and won't over flow is one thing but having proof is another.He wants me to just get a canister filter and be done. We live in an area that during the summer has frequent power bumps and power outages.He said that if I used sump filtration that the siphon effect would take over and either the dt would empty and fish would die or the sump would over flow.We also live in a second story apt so that plays into it to.I know they aren't full proof and that they need regular maintenance;however, what I have read is that they are better for the fish and it makes maintenance on the dt easy.Is a sump more work?I want a sump to add more water volume and to hide equipment.Does anyone know of a good source for detailed info on a sump with pictures?If it turns out that a sump is not an option, which filter is better an internal filter or a external canister filter?

Sumps don't stink. Skimmer collection cups do.

Siphon Overflows only drain your tank down to the top of the overflow weir. Usually an inch of water. although this depends on what kind of overflow you have(HOB, built in, drilled back.)

As long as you determine the max fill line of the sump and don't go above that then it will not overfill during power outage.

Basically after running return pump with some water in sump for a few minutes allowing overflow to reach max flow you turn off return pump. Once overflow is done draining your display you fill sump to the highest level you can without overflowing. Then turn pump back on. Once overflow has reached max flow mark the water level on the sump with tape or perm marker. That will be your absolute max fill line. As water evaporates you fill to that line and don't go over.

Hope that all makes sense.

I guess I should add. Determining your max fill line you turn off pump and wait for water in sump to stop rising. This means the overflow won't drain anymore and that your return lines(pump to display) are empty as well. Also a note on return line if not a drilled tank. Be sure to drill a couple 1/8" holes in the PVC at or just below the water surface of the display to create an air gap and break siphon on the return line.
Edit: You will want the holes above the waterline when pump is off and below when it is running.

Back
Top Bottom