Help!! Im a newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FynFysh818

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I am new to this marine tank hobby...so bare with me. I got a 37 gallon tank. It has a backpack protein skimmer and a 150 watt heater. I bought coral subtrate. Here is were I am getting unsure....I live in an apartment on a school campus and the apartment is not conclusive to mix salt in a big tub or anything like that. I cycled and dechlorinized my taped water for about a week...I then added the salt because I have no other place to mix it. Now I am cycling the water. Am I doing ok? Or did I do it wrong? I also cant afford LR right now either, do i really need LR....please help. I feel like I am doing something wrong.

It's ok I guess to mix the water that way the first time. Don't do it anymore. Once you have fish you have to mix it in a tub. The upshot is that an average weekly water change is only 10 percent so a 5 gallon bucket will be all you need from now on. If you are not getting live rock you are going to need some kind of mechanical filtration such as a canister filter or a hang on the back filter. This will be for the floss and carbon. Try to get one that turns your water at least 10 times an hour , appx 3 to 4 hundred gallons per hour. If you went with the lr you wouldn't need the hob filter so you need to weigh the cost of the lr versus the filter. You will need appx 40 to 50 pounds and a filter will cost anywhere from 30 dollars up to God knows how much. Your skimmer is a pretty good one but you didn't mention your lighting system. Get a good test kit for ph, amm, nitrite, and nitrate if you don't already have one. What do you have in the tank to cycle it? Most people recommend a shrimp from the store or a piece of live rock to cycle with. If there is nothing in your tank, you are not cycling it's just sitting there. Good luck and ask lots of questions.

See if there is a LFS around that you can buy premade SW from. Bring home a 5 gal bucket and put in a PH and heater for a day and you should be ready for a water change.

I think i am gonna dump out the water I have in my tank right now and redo it...properly. I just dont know how much salt I should add to the water???

I add a cup for every 5 gallons or so. It is easy to add more later than to remove.

Do you have a hydrometer or refractometer to check the SG? If not, you will need one. To do this the easiest way, I put RO water in a 5G bucket, then add salt gradually getting it to the level you want. It is easier to add more salt than to over shoot. Put some in, then test it. Keep doing it until it gets there. Take your time and ask questions. :wink:

Mike

Ok...I got a hydrometer. My SG is fine. I got a 5# live rock today and added to the tank. Thanks for all the advise!

Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it then add declorinizer and salt. Make sure the salt measures out ok and that the water isnt to hot to hot or cold I do it by touch now but at the begining I had a portable thermometer to get it to about 79.

I have the salt water in my tank along with my rock. My one little lonely rock! LOL
I plan on going to the grocery store and getting some shirmp to cycle my tank next. Is that the right direction I should be going? Or should I do something else before I cycle the tank? I want to make sure everything is done before I cycle it. 8)

Back
Top Bottom