Help , Im so confused !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a salt water tank , 180 gal , huge wet/dry filter , aquaclear skimmer , I set it up last night , the DSBsand is in it , I put the water in spgravity is 1.0020 , this is all Ive got in the tank I want a fish only tank , but from what Ive been reading I need some LR in there too , I only have the lights that came with the tank, 2 double strip lights how much base rock and live rock should i be able to have. Or have I already messed up by noy putting any LR in it yet ?

sharky if this is a fish only tank you should not worry your current set up will be fine. the sp. gravity might want to be bumped up a little but other than that i think your ok. now if you plan on converting to a reef tank in the future you may want to consider adding about a pound of liverock per gallon. other than that if you would like to purchase some live rock just for asthetics that would be about all you need it for. mainly the liverock serves as filtration for your tank. all the "critters" and things crawling around feeding off the smalles particles helps filter the tank. one last thing, even if you go with the rock now your current light should be enough to grow coralline algae just no corals. so for a fish only the current lighting would be fine. i think that covers it any one else please help

I hope your SG is a typo and you ment 1.020 vs 1.0020 as the later is extremly close to freshwater.

yes thats was a typo , Thanks for the help !!!!! I'll need much more in the future :D

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Having the DSB will make the conversion to a reef much easier should you decide to go that route. You might want to, as kribbz mentioned, bump your SG up to about 1.0245-1.025. I try to keep mine at 1.025. Also remember that the hydrometer is temp sensitive and your water needs to be in the 78-80* range before you test it for SG. Do you have test kits for ammonia/nitrite and pH? Those are the only ones you'll need to get the tank cycled. You got pics of the tank? Love to see some!
Logan J

No pics yet, but will soon, and yes I have 2 master test kits .I bought this tank used so I used some of the sand the guy had in the tank. So far everything test great except for the Ph was a little high , so I added a 8.2 ph buffer .Im having trouble with salt settelling on the sides of the tank , Im guessing this is because I don't have any power heads yet , Im going to get some today ! Also do I need to put some carbon in my sump ?

Probably not at this point (carbon). I'd wait till the tank cycles anyway. I only use carbon once in a while in my tank. Some folks use it all the time. If your water starts to get a yellowish tint, the carbon will help with that.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom