HELP! Kevin's New Saltwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I bought a used saltwater setup and it was neglected bad.
Here is what I know so far
I NEED HELP lol
Ok it is a 30 gallon bow front aquarium I think I'll measure later.
Came with:
Coralife deluxe series 30" double linear strip compact w/ 2 65watt bulbs

Penguin bio wheel 200

Stealth heater not sure of wattage

Tsunami 2 speed battery powered air pump with small air stone? (what's it for?)

Brand new coralife aqualight digital power center pretty cool brand new in box.

Thermometer
Fish net
A old magnetic cleaner with a net glued to one side ? (what's it for, feeding?)

A power head don't know brand or size.

A large protein skimmer don't know brand or anything I need help setting it up. I can't get everything perfectly clean everything had a thick layer if white buildup I got it as clean as,I could. I also can't get the inside of the skimmer perfectly clean I can't get the bottom assembly apart here is the pics of the skimmer please help me set it up

ForumRunner_20130115_191247.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_191954.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_192007.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_192021.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_192055.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_192104.jpg

I'm assuming it is ok if I don't get everything perfectly clean. I'm having to take a knife and scrape the buildup off.

I will get more info and pics as I get stuff clean

Try soaking in hot water with white vinegar that will loosen some buildup

I've been doing that but it still isn't perfect. My main concern is I can't get my hand down inside the skimmer to clean it

Ok measured tank it is 30 wide about 21 tall and front center to back it is 15 do you measure the middle of bow to back to get size? If so I think it is a 36 gallon and not a 30 like he told me.
I gave $150 for everything I think I did ok

Maybe a baby bottle brush? They work for tubes as well. If you don't get it perfect it's ok

Don't worry about cleaning it. Just rinse it out and install it. Leave the foam filter off. You can toss that.

Yeah I'm gonna pick up bottle brushes tomorrow.

I read stealth heaters were recalled is this one of them?

ForumRunner_20130115_194933.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_194940.jpg

Here is the power head it is large and the magnetic base says hydor

ForumRunner_20130115_195125.jpg

ForumRunner_20130115_195134.jpg

Seeing as this is a bow front aquarium does that mean it is acrylic if so how do I get the white stuff of it without scratching?

Don't worry about cleaning it. Just rinse it out and install it. Leave the foam filter off. You can toss that.

The foam filter in the little hang on box?
I also have a penguin bio wheel 200 filter that came with it I have to clean it still

Yes. I mean the foam prefilter for the skimmer pump. Toss it.
Yes, the stealth heaters have been recalled. Contact the manufacturer and they will send out a replacement.
Bowfront tanks can be glass or acrylic.

Yes. I mean the foam prefilter for the skimmer pump. Toss it.
Yes, the stealth heaters have been recalled. Contact the manufacturer and they will send out a replacement.
Bowfront tanks can be glass or acrylic.

How do I tell if mine is glass or acrylic?

If it's glass, you'll see silicone in the corners. If it's acrylic, the edges will actually be melted together to appear seamless.

If it's glass, you'll see silicone in the corners. If it's acrylic, the edges will actually be melted together to appear seamless.

Ok it feels like a thin layer of silicon between the pieces when I stick my fingernail between them and there is a bead of silicone inside the tank in the corners

I would get rid of the bio-wheel and buy a sump, external overflow box, live rock and live sand... Then Ur start Ur first cycle.

I have a bucket full of dead rock and another of sand. One of the bulbs is bad the 65w 420/460
I am taking the light apart cause there isn't a lid on the aquarium and he had salt built up in the light fixture

Ok both bulbs are bad darn

Ok so is this skimmer a good one?
I'm assuming the skimmer hangs on back of tank on outside and one tube on skimmer goes in the square hang on box and the other goes to the top of the pump and the air line with check valve goes on the pump but does it hang outside the tank?

Did it sound like I got a good deal. I'm having to do a lot of work it looks like he drained it and put it up the light was still wet in the box I'm scared to open the bucket with the sand

Might want to reseal the tank. Do you know old the tank is? Wouldn't want 30 gallons on the floor.

Might want to reseal the tank. Do you know old the tank is? Wouldn't want 30 gallons on the floor.

The silicone looks good and it isn't very old. I think it is 36 gallons if I measured right. I gotta spend $50 bucks on 2 new bulbs. Will this light assembly support coral and should I buy the 420k or 460 and then the 10k

Back
Top Bottom