Help Locating a Diffuser.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know where I can find a good diffuser? Trying to better distribute the water flow returning to the tank.

Thanks

You should be able to make your own from PVC either making a spray bar...or heating the end of a PVC elbow and pinching the end together. Logan has bent PVC befor, so I'll let him elaborate on the process.

If you don't feel like getting into that...I am sure there is something on the market, name brand Loktight or something similar comes to mind....

How much water are you wanting to move through it? PVC bends easily once you get it hot. The CPVC doesn't so make sure you're using the white stuff. To bend the ends of the elbows or a piece of pipe, submerse the end you want to bend in boiling water for a few minutes and it will bend easily and will hold its shape once cooled. You could have a tee with a short piece of pipe on each end. Take 2 elbows and crush the ends down into an oblong shape. Put them on the pipe. Don't glue them...that way you can move them around to get the flow you want. I like to have something rippling the surface of the water and I like to point the flow toward the overflow box. It seems to help with DOC's and it promotes gas exchange. I'd probably do about 6 elbows...maybe crush 2 vertically, 2 horizontally, and 2 diagonally. Then you should be able to swap and adjust till you get just the flow pattern you're looking for. You can also bend larger pieces of pipe using either a heat gun or (very carefully) a propane torch. You could bend a piece to follow the corner contour of the tank and drill holes at different angles to break up the flow even more. Possibilities are pretty much endless and PVC is so cheap it won't matter if you mess up. I doubt the diffusor will cost you much more than $3. If there is any way I can further confuse you, let me know :mrgreen: .
Logan J

I am in the process of making a diffuser for my 'fuge. I don't want a lot of agitation so I need to spread the flow out over the width of the tank. The diffuser will be a length of 3/4" PVC with holes drilled along the length of it. Pretty simple really. I have it put together except for the holes. I'll drill those and post a pic when it's int he tank. The water is way to cloudy now, it's only 2 days after adding the water (on a sand bed). I put some ammonia chloride drops to cycle it. It may be a week or so before I set up the overflow from the "main" tank.

And to thank, I was gonna waste money buying one. I think that I'll derive a lot more satisfaction from doing it myself.

Back
Top Bottom