Help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Late last night, I received a PM from Larry @ underwateroutlets.com with my tracking # for the LR I recently ordered. I figured I would have a couple days to confirm all is good, but Low and Behold, the LR will arrive TODAY!!!!

I don't think I'm ready!!!!

Here is where I stand:

The Tank is Filled with Sand and Water.
PowerHeads are running
Skimmer is running
Temp is rising, but is only at 72deg.

So.. Last night I attempted to mix my Instant Ocean Salt into the filled tank. I read the directions on the Hydrometer I purchased and it said I need fill the Hydro with Salt water and let it sit for 24hours to "season the needle". Does that mean it will NOT give accurate reading until then?

Right now, my Hydro is reading approx 1.021SG at 72deg water temps. Is this OK to add the LR when it arrives?

The tank has been filled with SW for only 10+ hours now. I know it normally needs some time to aerate.. I assume Fedex will arrive withing the next 4 hours. So, in theroy, I could be adding LR quite soon.

So, to repeat my 2 questions:

1 - Can I trust my Hydrometer Readings yet?

2 - LR is coming, am I ready to add it? I don't want to harm it.

I'm still a newbie, but I'll take a stab at this.

I assume you plan on curing your LR in the tank. This is a good idea. I think the sg and temp is probably fine, LR isn't that susceptible to these specifics, and it's going to be cold anyway since you're shipping this time of year, so the temp is probably fine too. May not be good for any potential hitchhikers you have, but the rock is probably okay.

For your hydro, if it says it needs to soak it probably does before you can get close to accurate readings. Since I don't believe the rock's going to care if the SG is off, it probably doesn't matter right now. But, I highly recommend you invest in a refractometer - in the long run it will save you money.

Thanks neilanh.. Newbie ey??? 3,700 posts is alot for a newbie :D. jk...

That makes me feel better.. I'm just stressing out and I don;t want to harm the Rock.. I've been reading sooooo much about this hobby that it's starting to consume me. LOL
I've been dillydallying thinking I had alot of time and boom, OUT FOR DELIVERY
Thanks for the advice... I plan on getting a refractometer sooner then later.

Hopefully others will agree with your post.. :)

You'll be OK with your rock. As long as you're in the ballpark with salinity, you won't have any issues. Even if the temp is off, that's OK too. And good move getting a refractometer soon!

I agree with both Kurt and Neilan.
Neilan is a FW junkie (so his posts in the FW section are probably awesome) that we converted to SW....LOL...well maybe it was more we converted his wife.
The only issue I have is the hydrometer seems to be temp sensitive and they tend to be hard to read (swinging and all), so add the rock, get your refractometer and see what the true reading of SG is really at. Other than that, at this point, you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom