Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Help me decide!

Hello everyone! I am new to the salt water section of this forum. My friend just gift me a 20 gallon but think of changing it to a 50 gallon. I was thinking of using it for freshwater but I really been wanting to start a saltwater for many reasons 1) fish are way prettier, 2) I already have a 20g freshwater.
My question is, should I keep the 20g and convert it to a saltwater or change it to a 50g?
I want to be able to put many fish in the long run and not be able to overstocked easily.
How much can I put in a 20g???
Thanks hopefully I hear from you guys soon.

briemol12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Go big or go home. Bigger is easier in salt water.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think it was suggested in another thread to start here for this. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a....cfm?c=15+2124
You'll notice on the right side of this link a set of drop down boxes to help refine things. It's not "the" bible but fairly close and respectable. I started with a 14g BioCube and and I've got a goby/pistol shrimp pair. I hear the pistol more than I see it so it just doesn't have that "pop" I was looking for.

Totally agree with Mebbid on going big. Opens up A LOT more possibilities for sticking. I would suggest utilizing the 20 for this project as a sump/fuge. It will add to the total water volume making it easier to obtain/keep more stable parameters.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
treemanone2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

help me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com