Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help me get started :)

Ok I have a 75 gal tank I would like to do a fowlr tank so what do I need to get the tank up and running before putting things in it

Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You just have the tank nothing else? Is this your first salt tank? Many ways to do it but the first decision is to run a sump or not. A sump would be very beneficial in that size tank. I would recommend a skimmer to, don't skimp on cost for that, get one rated for twice your tank volume. Then there is rock, 1-2 pounds per gallon. And sand. At least 2 powerheads for water movement. Lighting is not so important on a fowler and there is loads of options here. LED is popular as there is very little heat and no replacing globes, it is certainly the more expensive option initially but pays off in the long run. You will also need a heater or two and a good saltwater test kit. Once you get your head around the set up you can think about cycling and then live stock. What do you plan to keep?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is my first salt water tank so I'm not sure what I want yet but just wanted to get thing to set it up an start cycling until I decide what would be the best to start with ... What's good beginner things for a first time tank ?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's a good sump and skimmer to get ?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not a sump expert as I have a smaller tank and don't use one. Hopefully someone can chime in with more info, most people DIY I believe although you can buy them ready to go (more expensive) I use a tunze skimmer on my tank but again it's a smaller tank. If you decide on a sump then the choice of skimmer will come a bit easier as you will need one to fit in it. You can also get in tank skimmers (like mine) or HOB.
Check out some you tube clips of how to make a sump and see whether its right for you
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Goggle melevsreef sumps great info and easy enough to build yourself.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

In designing the sump, a few factors come into play. First, how much room do you have available? Most sumps are installed beneather the main tank, but some put their sumps behind or beside the main. Leaving a bit of room around the sump is a good idea, so you can expand with possible reactors and dosing pumps. For now, they're not needed, but you should leave a bit of room on one or 2 sides, about 4".
Heat! If you live in an area that gets real warm, and heat may be an issue, you might want to conside an external return pump for the sump. Than removes a large amount of heat transfer from the pump to the water, but it adds a bit of a plumbing issue. Not much, but some.
Most people run their sumps with 3 sections. Personally, I only have 2 sections in mine and I have combined the skimmer section with the refugium section. Not really an issue I think and the only way I would do it again.
For a sump skimmer, or an internal skimmer, Reef Octopus are popular. I have one, but I will admit I find it a bit noisy. Perhaps others will chime in on what they use in a sump and if there are any issues.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow thanks for all the info I'll keep looking into it because I know nothing about the sump stuff lol
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

It all seems very confusing lol :0)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I have just a reg 75 gal tank so if I make it a salt water I have to do the sump and have two tanks underneath the main tank ?

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com