Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
help me get started please

so my dad is selling me his fish tank that he invested about 4 grand in. this was his small one he spent about 15 grand on his 180 gallon. hes planning on selling the 75 gallon to me for 400 bucks. it is a 75 gallon aqueon with a 20 gallon sump/refugium full of bio balls. 2 750 powerheads, 80 pounds of decorative live rock that is now dried up and not live anymore. 80 pounds of crushed coral substrate. a 48 inch fluorescent light. comes with a black stand and is drilled so the sub pump is hidden under the tank. it has a heater not sure what kind but he said its way too strong so it also has a chiller he used the heater more than needed and used the chiller to regulate it. he is also giving me a refractometer and ro/di unit. so basically all i need is salt. what i want to know is how much new live rock i need to put in it to get the system live again because this rock is beautiful and i dont want to get rid of it. also i want to know some good beginner fish to house for the first 6 months because i plan on getting the lighting and extra powerheads necessary to grow coral. it also has a protein skimmer not sure what kind. this is my first saltwater ever but i have lots of experience with freshwater so im just looking for some help. thanks guys!!! i am in no way in a rush and know all about cycling so you dont need to say "first start off by cycling"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1162992320.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	181879   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2426309508.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	181880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3931679856.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	181881  
__________________

__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
i have a 100 dollar 700 page book called the reef aquarium im just looking for tips on what to do for now til the reef
__________________

__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Voshon247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 225
You should the the water cycle started get salt that is good for reefs and have essential elements etc and the rock will be live again because its the bacteria that makes it live but other wise than that you got that tank for a steal.
__________________
Voshon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
yeah i know im so excited the tank and stand alone cost more than that. its going to be started set up in a few weeks after i save some money from a couple paychecks but hes saving it for me. do you recommend doing a fishless with ammonia cycle? or would doing the shrimp method be better? he didnt have very much luck with his tanks and gave up on them but he does that with a lot of stuff lol. this is a big step up from my small freshwater tanks but ive heard bigger is easier for beginners in saltwater. would clowns do okay in the tank without coral or anemone? he also has an overflow setup for the tank to make water changes a breeze so im really stoked about that too. i know i want some sort of shrimp and a halloween hermit crab along with the normal cleanup crew. i also really want a starry blenny but know that cant happen until there is a sufficient source of algae in the tank. can a yellow tang go in a 75?
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
also thank you for the reply and you didnt specify do i need to add any live rock to help it get started? will 10 extra pounds in the sump help get it live faster? and will the crushed coral still keep the ph at the right level?
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
also thank you for the reply and you didnt specify do i need to add any live rock to help it get started? will 10 extra pounds in the sump help get it live faster? and will the crushed coral still keep the ph at the right level?
When you mix the salt water to 1.025 SG
And let the tank cycle , the bacteria is what is live on the rock .
The bacteria only starts as the cycle finishes .
Adding a ammonia source ( fresh shrimp ) from the seafood counter at your grocery store works like a charm .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Voshon247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
yeah i know im so excited the tank and stand alone cost more than that. its going to be started set up in a few weeks after i save some money from a couple paychecks but hes saving it for me. do you recommend doing a fishless with ammonia cycle? or would doing the shrimp method be better? he didnt have very much luck with his tanks and gave up on them but he does that with a lot of stuff lol. this is a big step up from my small freshwater tanks but ive heard bigger is easier for beginners in saltwater. would clowns do okay in the tank without coral or anemone? he also has an overflow setup for the tank to make water changes a breeze so im really stoked about that too. i know i want some sort of shrimp and a halloween hermit crab along with the normal cleanup crew. i also really want a starry blenny but know that cant happen until there is a sufficient source of algae in the tank. can a yellow tang go in a 75?
The shrimp method would be best just get a shrimp from the grocery store or a fish market which would be best because the shrimp needs to be fresh and not steamed or broiled. Make sure the shrimp is in a net of some sorts because you wouldn't want it breaking down and making a mess in ur tank.The fish method is horrible when I first started my tank the lfs told me too do that but I just ended up wasting my money because I bought 3 damsels which went through he'll and then they ended up killing themselves and the clownfishes I tried to add. So shrimp method would be best to me. Yes clowns would do okay and probably even better I have 2 paired clowns and they do fine without an anemone. I wouldnt use a yellow tang but there was another tang that might work for that size because I wanted it for my future 90g but I can't remember the name so I will get back too you on that.
__________________
Voshon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Live2Reef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
i have a 100 dollar 700 page book called the reef aquarium im just looking for tips on what to do for now til the reef
What book? Im looking to expand my library
__________________
Live2Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
its called the reef aquarium over 650 pages and very detailed with pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2663731806.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	181975   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-132913807.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	181976  

__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Live2Reef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 25
Thank you sir I will be picking that one up later today hopefully
__________________

__________________
Live2Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« EELS | White film »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.