Help me please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjpendrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need help everyone! My tank has been running great for a few weeks iv completely cleared up the bubble and hair algae after my cycle tests have been great! Haven't changed anything in my tank. Iv just done my every other day tests raise last week my nitrates were at 20ppm tonight however my salinity has dropped from 1.025 to 1.021!! I'm getting a reading of 0.50ppm of ammonia!! 0 Nitrites, 10ppm. Nitrates and 8.2 ph! My coralline algae is all turning white!! Anyone know what could have happend? Iv not had anything die and I only feed my one fish te smallest pinch of food every two days? What's happening?

Sounds like ur still cycling maybe. As for the drop in salinity not sure. Are u topping off and of so is it more than what had left the tank?

Yes I'm topping off. Actually I have raised the level slightly could that be the drop? My cycle finished 3 months ago I have been running zero on all tests. I'm using a maiden head aquatics refractometer. I had some filter floss that was a little dirty after 5 days and when I took it out loads of particles fell into the water could I have started a miki cycle?

There must be something wrong there. Test it again.

I would say its impossible to have such a big salinity swing overnight.

I haven't got a clue what's going on i have just retested my ammonia is at 0 nitrate 0 and nitrates are at 50!! I'm doing a water change as we speak hopefully will bring it down some. Iv just bought some new salifert test kits iv been told they are better than API? Oh my salinity has rose from 1.021 to 1.023 I'm assuming this is because the evaporation has brought the water level down to near my original level. Still don't know why my coralline algae has died off! :(

Salifert are streets ahead of API, I have no clue why everybody recommends them.

Salinity will go up and down with evaporation, but not to the extent you suffered, not unless you have been literally boiling it?

Are you skimming especially wet? That will drop it a little as it will remove more salt.

Nitrates at 50? Do you run any chemical filtration? I'd suggest tossing in a sack of purigen, it may help a little, plus water changes will assist.

Ok so I did a 30% water change earlier I'm bow about 30ppm on nitrates. My skimmer has gone abit mad since these strange results turned up, I usually skim about one cup a week iv been skimming one cup every day and a half since Monday!!

What is purigen?

Im waiting on Cheato Algae to be delivered, will that help? Im also waiting on some Rowaphos and Rowacarbon for my tank also. Things were running so great and people warned me I'd hit a problem sooner or later lol guess its the science part that's the hardest!

Yes chaeto will help massively.

I run chaeto and reef scientific phosphate remover that I swap about once a month.

My levels of nitrate and phosphate are both undetectable, and I put it down to these two doing all the hard work for me.

Just a deltec mce 600 skimmer, huge overkill for the tank, but I have sps in there do I wanted the best hang on skimmer I could get.

It's actually where I grow the chaeto as I don't use a sump.

Yes I think it is that good, as long as you keep up with the water changes and don't over feed, it should all come back in line.

Dude thanks for ya help I got did a check this morning and everything's back in check apart from 10 nitrates but the cheato should sort that hopefully? How often will I need to trim it back and how?

Hi mate,

It grows really well under decent light, I halve mine once a week, when I do a water change, you just pull it apart.

It grows tightly together and resembles a Brillo pad if you know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom