Help me set up my first SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That light isn't going to work. What tank did we settle on? Are we still lighting a 6 gallon? If so, I don't think they make t5 lamps for a tank that size. 24" are the smallest name brand lamps I have seen.

That light isn't going to work. What tank did we settle on? Are we still lighting a 6 gallon? If so, I don't think they make t5 lamps for a tank that size. 24" are the smallest name brand lamps I have seen.

Haven't bought the tank yet and this is just so I have an idea what I can get. Obviously the bigger the tank, the more costly the lights (I understand that lights are the most expensive thing here).
So what light would you use for a 6 gallon?
If I decide to go bigger, I might get a 15 gallon so what would you use in that case?
I know that there are good LEDs out there but they cost a fortune! £300 for lights! This is exactly why I said I don't want any "hard to keep corals" (forgot what they're called). This will be my first ever SW so I'm just trying to plan everything so that even if I don't set it up now( which I won't since I can't get my hands on RODI water), I will know exactly what to get and how much to spend when the time comes.

I do appreciate everyone's help by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, I always say "buy once". I suggest purchasing a light that will allow you to grow whatever you want, in the event that you fall in love with the hobby and want to get deeper in it. A 6 gallon should be easy to light. How pretty do we need this light to be? I think a normal screw in fixture with a PAR38 bulb should be more than enough.
Something like this-
E27 9x3 27W PAR38 LED Coral Reefs Grow Light High Power Fish Tank Aquarium Lamp | eBay

What are the dimensions of the 15 gallon? One or two of these should also work fine. Get one and see how it goes. If you aren't getting good coverage, order another ;)

Close, but no cigar. You need the one with whites and blues mixed in. Otherwise, your tank is going to look very bland and washed out.

Close, but no cigar. You need the one with whites and blues mixed in. Otherwise, your tank is going to look very bland and washed out.

I'd look for one with a blue to white ratio of 2:1 so you get decent color

Oh this is hopeless! I can't find anything!

This is already giving me a headache and I haven't set anything up! ?

Any suggestions?
Both have been mentioned so I'm just trying to decide which to get

The screw in bulb type lamp would be fine for a small, square tank, but for a rectangular one it would leave some shaded area on either end. The first one is plenty of light for a roughly 30" x 30" area. The first one is certainly overkill, but you can dim it down as far as you want/need to. So, I'd either go with 2 of the screw in lamps, or one of the larger units.

Ok might go with the first one then, thanks again Mr. X

Awesome, so I was thinking of keeping a few cleaner shrimp and a yellow clown goby. Would I be able to also keep 2 clownfish?

I'm so excited! I can't wait to set it up! Now I just need to find a marine supplier shop so I can get my RODI water, critters and coral

Back
Top Bottom