HELP me start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TechnoFreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I'm extremely keen on starting a saltwater aquarium. But I need some info to start with as I have no idea what i need to do to get started. Surely I need a tank and a stand. I'm planning on building my aquarium myself as a project over the summer. (It's summer here in Australia). I'll be building the stand myself and the tank myself.
I'm concerned about building the tank, and I don't know what sizes are standard but I definately want a tank thats about 4' long and 2' deep, how wide should it be? I'll be using thicker glass than I probably need to ensure that nothing goes wrong when the tank is full.
I couldn't find anything in the articles on starting a marine aquarium so I thought I'd ask if i could be referred to any ONLINE resources as I don't have access to the books referenced in the Sticky post. I obviously need to know where to get my water from, how to maintain it etc, what sorts of fish etc I can keep and how they can be mixed. Also I'd like to know what sort of pumps and filters etc that I may need considering the tank size etc. Please help me out, I don't have much time to spend browing the internet as I'm also working so any reference would be much appreciated. Thanks!

That's great but I intend to make an ALL glass tank. Putting the building of the tank and stand aside, let's start from preparing the tank for some actual marine life. I would like to know things such as where to get water, how to make it saltwater, what pumps and/or filters I need, what other equipment I need and the steps required before I put any live fish inside. Help me out please???

read other threads in this board.. check out other SW boards.. I posted a link a while back about reaserching livestock... I went on about "mixed systems" in that thread a seach on that should turn it up..

Articles right here at this sight can help you along. See the top of the page. No time consuming surfing.

Also, a link on this page from the "Book Library" will get you to Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Read that before you make a step, and you'll be a lot better off for it. on't help you on the "how to build" thing, but will help you determine a whole lot more important things about going into this hobby and maintaining it.

Back
Top Bottom