Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
tdo
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help me start up!

Hello all, I have been fascinated with saltwater setups for some time now, and I am ready to make the plunge. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I am going to have set up for my tank.

I have a Coralife 2x96w light fixture, will that work for initial setup until I can get mh lighting? I am interested in starting a reef setup with a handful of fish.

I will be doing the coast to coast type overflow, using the PVC slit design. I just picked up a 20l tank to use as my sump/fuge. Is that enough? I will be using the hydor korila power heads for circulation. I will be using a protein skimmer in my sump, but I have limited height clearance for the skimmer, so any recommendations for a skimmer would be helpful. I have 18 inches of clearance in my cabinet for the skimmer...

I have a couple of buddies who have established tanks that I will be able to get sand from to help jumpstart my argonite sand.

Am I missing anything? Any pointers for a saltwater newb like myself? I have previous experience with discus in the freshwater world, so everyone says I will be ok.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id be careful with using someone elses sand, the bb you need is in the live rock and filter media.. ask your friends if they are willing to part ways with some of their live rock

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo View Post
Any pointers for a saltwater newb like myself?
Just one.....set this site as you home page. LOL (From one newbie to another).
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

Just one.....set this site as you home page. LOL (From one newbie to another).
VERY good point, and no matter what, dont give up
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seriously, any time spent on this site will save you double the time in setting up and caring for it. I have followed all (well most) of the advice given here and my tank is off to a great start.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
tdo
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Awesome advice guys! I have been hitting the boards hard the past few days. The reef bug bite me! Well, it helps when the wife shows interest in it!

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com