Help me start up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I have been fascinated with saltwater setups for some time now, and I am ready to make the plunge. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I am going to have set up for my tank.

I have a Coralife 2x96w light fixture, will that work for initial setup until I can get mh lighting? I am interested in starting a reef setup with a handful of fish.

I will be doing the coast to coast type overflow, using the PVC slit design. I just picked up a 20l tank to use as my sump/fuge. Is that enough? I will be using the hydor korila power heads for circulation. I will be using a protein skimmer in my sump, but I have limited height clearance for the skimmer, so any recommendations for a skimmer would be helpful. I have 18 inches of clearance in my cabinet for the skimmer...

I have a couple of buddies who have established tanks that I will be able to get sand from to help jumpstart my argonite sand.

Am I missing anything? Any pointers for a saltwater newb like myself? I have previous experience with discus in the freshwater world, so everyone says I will be ok.

Id be careful with using someone elses sand, the bb you need is in the live rock and filter media.. ask your friends if they are willing to part ways with some of their live rock

Reactions: tdo
Seriously, any time spent on this site will save you double the time in setting up and caring for it. I have followed all (well most) of the advice given here and my tank is off to a great start.

Awesome advice guys! I have been hitting the boards hard the past few days. The reef bug bite me! Well, it helps when the wife shows interest in it!

Back
Top Bottom