Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!!!!!!!! me stock

hey how's everyone doin? well i have this 20 gallon here thats been cycling for roughly 3 weeks now, and i was wondering for some insight on some stocking options. i know i sorta messed up in buying such a small size tank, but at the time it was a bargin, and a gift for that matter, but im happy so far. N E ways i really want a lot of different colors in my tank, rite now i have in mind some clown fishes, maybe a maroon or the black and white one. A hardy damesel will add color too. and i REALLY REALLY want a tang, but from what im reading.... its not recommended .

thanks for the help, and i look foward to the responses.

l unoRthoDox l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
How many fish for your size tank?

Also, you might want to look at...
For Fish compatability

As far as damsels... you will hear from many members if you go with them
The general feeling is that they are mean and nasty to other fish
About the only type of damsel that is not aggressive is the chromis line

Thanks a Bunch!!

Prizm Prot skimmer
Penquin 250gph biowheel
1 Green Chromis
1 False perc
1 Royal Gramma
12 hermits (Various)
Raker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Pair of clowns would be nice. But that would about max you out with a 20.
You could add some pretty snails, hermits or even a nice cleaner shrimp for some additional color.
Or go with 1 clown and add a firefish or even a damsel.
Whatever the combo, add the damsel last.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Keep in mind that salt water does not hold as much oxygen as fresh water, so a fully stocked salt water tank has a lot fewer fish in it than a fully stocked fresh water tank.

Two full grown True Percula clownfish (Like the ones in Nemo) will be quite snug in a 20 gallon tank. A single maroon would be too large at his full grown size. If you mean an Ocellaris variety by "black and white" you could keep one, with no other fish. Damsels are very hardy, good for beginners, but they are very aggressive, and should only be kept with other damsels.

You could consider adding shrimp and crabs and snails as colorful additions to the fish. You could also invest in live rock, which can have all kinds of interesting things living on/in it.

Other fish to consider: firefish, jawfish, neon blue gobies, yellow watchman goby...

Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=2124, and pick out one or two fish that total 4" of adult grown fish. You get a little wiggle room with the pair of clownfish, the male will never reach full size, so two True Percula will fit although snugly.

Consider Shrimp: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=525

Snails (but not conches): http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=526

and Dwarf Crabs: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=501

Live Aquaria is a commercial site, but it has fairly accurate species information. Many other sites only list the size of the fish at the time of sale, not how large you should expect them to grow.

What method did you use to cycle your tank? (I congratulate you on not doing it with fish!)
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com