Help, my clown is afraid of the dark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billydreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently moved my setup from a 18 long to a 28 bowfront. The tank cycled for over a month, and I've had a cleanup crew (6 turbos, 2 emerald crabs) going for about a week and a half. This Saturday (10/16), I moved my clown from the old tank (at my parents’ house) to his new home in the 28. I thought he would need some time to adjust, but he seems way more freaked out than I expected.

The first night after about 6 hours in the tank, I went to shut the light off, and he began swimming around frantically, and even bumped in to the glass top, presumably to get out! I've had to leave the light on for the last 3 nights now, and I'm worried this will stress him out even more! Am I just babying him? Will he calm down?

Now, he's never really had issues like this. He's never hosted in anything, and I've never had a moonlight. Should I get him something to host in? I've never had consistent parameters long enough to feel comfortable getting a live coral/anemone. Could I get a fake coral/anemone? I know it's just luck if he hosts it, but would that make him more comfortable? Should I get a moonlight? And advice would be helpful.

:confused:

Does he have a "cave" to hide/sleep in? He should be fine, usually shutting the lights off helps to calm them down. But every fish is different. Are the lights in the room still on when you shut the aquarium lights off? If not it might be the instant darkness causing him to be "blinded" temporarly (sp) His eyes should adjust in a few moments.

I would just leave the top on tight and begin your normal light cycle. He will calm down in a few days once he gets comfortable with his new surroundings.

Think of it this way, your in your house just hanging out and then someone scoops you up and drops you in a new house. You don't know the layout, don't know where to sleep, then someone shuts off the lights and your left in the dark with no idea where to go. That's why he's bumping into everything, think of it as him stubbing his toe on the coffee table a few times until he remembers its there.

I would just leave the top on tight and begin your normal light cycle. He will calm down in a few days once he gets comfortable with his new surroundings.

Think of it this way, your in your house just hanging out and then someone scoops you up and drops you in a new house. You don't know the layout, don't know where to sleep, then someone shuts off the lights and your left in the dark with no idea where to go. That's why he's bumping into everything, think of it as him stubbing his toe on the coffee table a few times until he remembers its there.

I hate when that happens! I also agree. :)

Okay, The reassurance is appreciated. I'll move my rock around a little and make sure he's got a good hiding place, and keep the room lights on for a bit when the tank lights go out.

Seems like he's doing much better now. He found a cozy little spot behind a rock on the sand bed in the back coner. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom