Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist

Today's update:

Regarding nitrates, it's possible mine are off the charts. It's hard for me to tell because it's so red and the last 2 colors on the card are very red. Ive done 5 water changes now and it hasnt dropped at all so Im guessing it might be off the charts. I will continue to change water. Doing 4 cups in morning and 4 cups in evening everyday.

No more deaths yet. Firefish still breathing hard and I think Bubba the trubo snail is dieing *sob* he has barely moved since yesterday. Superworm still open and as if I have perfect water...little freak, lol.

I also tested the LFS RO/DI saltwater that I'm using, and it was good.

The LFS guy said lights being on too long can cause high phosphates. Since I have no corals, should I just leave the lights off for a while or does the feather duster need them?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieC View Post
... Ive done 5 water changes now and it hasnt dropped at all so Im guessing it might be off the charts. I will continue to change water. Doing 4 cups in morning and 4 cups in evening everyday.
OK... that's why your nitrates aren't changing. A 4 cup water change on a 10g tank is only 2.5%. So let's say your nitrates are at 80ppm. After the 4 cup water change, assuming your new water is nitrate-free, your nitrates are going to be 78 ppm. Unless you're testing electronically, you're not going to see that change. Stepping those changes up to 1 or 2 gallons each time will start giving you some results.

Quote:
...and I think Bubba the trubo snail is dieing *sob* he has barely moved since yesterday.
Unfortunately, that was probably in the cards. A turbo in a 10g - even full of algae - would probably starve pretty quick. They are great hair algae eaters, but because they're so big they do have an appetite.

Quote:
I also tested the LFS RO/DI saltwater that I'm using, and it was good.
Always good to do. At least you can rule out the nitrates coming in through your "good" water.

Quote:
The LFS guy said lights being on too long can cause high phosphates. Since I have no corals, should I just leave the lights off for a while or does the feather duster need them?
Not sure how lighting can cause high phosphates. I'd be interested in hearing how exactly that works. As far as I know, phosphates can come from source water, food, poor quality carbon (activated charcoal), or leaching from your rocks in certain conditions. Excessive lighting can give algae in your tank additional "food" to convert those phosphates into growth, but the lighting itself isn't causing phosphates to appear. The feather duster doesn't need lights, but it's not causing your phosphate issue.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just started the smaller ones. I was doing 1 gallon changes but that literally took out about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tanks water so I got scared and stopped. I think the rocks take up a lot of room making less water (probably doesnt help). Ill go back to the bigger ones.

What about the lights?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the lights on like you have them. It will give your snails something to eat(algae growth). Like Kurt I would like to hear how it affects P03?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Activist

Heck if I know, that's just what they told me, lol. I'll leave em on during the day then.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never heard of lights creating phosphates. The longer the lights are on the more time algae/cyano has to utilize the phosphates in the water, maybe that is what he was getting at.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ugh maybe I need to sta out of all LFS!

What causes high phosphates?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as I know, phosphates come from fish food, rotting organic matter, or phosphates that have been absorbed into substrate/LR and are being released over time.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 for that. Please don't stay away from LFS's. Krypt and I may not have anything to do If we can't correct misinformation...
Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well dagnabbit!

Okay, took some tests again and was happy to see my nitrates and phosphates finally dropping. But now my ammonia shot up.

Salinity=1.024
Temp=77.3
Nitrite=0
PH=8.4
Phosphate=5
Nitrate=40
Ammonia=1

My ammonia has stayed at 0. And it has been 0 the last few days (checking daily). Why would it change so drammatically in less than 24 hours? It's possible a firefish died but hard to tell since they don't come out much. I did see both yesterday so Im wondering if I should move rocks and start looking. I haven't seen anything new die in a while.

Can ammonia come from another cause or do I need to go digging around? What do I do to correct ammonia? Is it water changes as well or something else?

And lastly...dang, if my ammonia can jump that fast (1 is deadly, right?) is there anypoint in keeping a 10g tank? It's been less than 24 hours since I last checked the tank.

Tags
die, dieing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com