Help! My tank is dieing...grrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ammonia was at zero. The nitrite I have no idea, the color didnt match anthing on the cart.

As for surface and oxygen, can you tell anything by the video?

My blue cleaner gob was dead this morning. I expect my last clown to soon follow by his behavior. :(

So, the stress isn't from ammonia or any mini cycle caused by the move.. The video with the water movement from the filter would seem to be enuf oxygen I'm thinking. Could anything have inadvertently been added to the tank? Cleaning solution? Soap or lotion on the hands, or etc? In such a small tank, things like that can be a problem.

You did already post the temp, right?

Only way to know anything about oxygen levels is with a test kit, but it really doesn't matter... you really can't change it much.

I don't think this is rocket science... there is a reason you don't put 8 fish in a 10g, regardless of size. Maybe folks can get away with it in freshwater, but not saltwater. Could be stress, could be O2, could be water parameters that we can't measure, could be... who really knows. Just for comparison, I have 6 fish (one is a little yellow clown goby) in a 46g... and I consider myself just over my limit.

The ammonia was zero.
I took back more water today and everything was fine (guessing the other guys used the wrong test). I asked him WTH my fish are dieing? He thinks I had to get something poisonous in the tank but I haven't put anything in there so :?: :?: :?:
He told me to change the water eer couple days for a week and just monitor it.
I have a thermometer on it but it kind of sucks. Just a stick on and looks like its between 75-79 but no idea how to tell what.

On the plus side, the few snails that made it, including the turbo, are moving all over the tank today. So maybe things are on the mend. Most of the leftover fish seem okay but Ill just have to watch and see. The yellow clown goby is looking pretty bad. :(
Also, I found a test kit today! WOOHOO :dance: so I can monitor and report. Two questions...
Where would I buy a refractometer and how much are they? Also, when I do a water change, how soon after should I test?

Check ebay for the refractometer. If you go through retailers or online vendors, they can charge you upwards of around $40+ but i bought mine on ebay for $25 shipped. So i would check ebay before any other stores. Refractometers are way better than hydrometers and give more accurate results. Definitely get the refract.

Some how I missed this post. It seems to me that you had a mini-cycle that happened after the move of the tank from the LFS and your home. IMO the ammonia or your nitrite killed the animals that died in your tank. Since your LR is enough for your tank the cycle was pretty fast and by the time you got home things were starting to come back to normal. Your nitrite test was beyond the color chart which meant that it was so high it could not be read with the chart you had. At this point things are starting to stablize and as you can see the more sensitive animals are starting to move around normally again. I think that the clown fish was the most stressed and that the mini cycle was to much for him to handle and that is why he died. The LFS not giving you some credit for your fish shows their true colors.
Did the live fish store test your salinity with a refractometer?
The person in the store that retested your ph was correct and your PH was beyond the range of the normal PH test. I can't put my finger on the reason for the PH going crazy if you did not add anything to your tank after setup.

Last edited:
The LFS not giving you some credit for your fish shows their true colors.
Did the live fish store test your salinity with a refractometer?

I agree and no they didn't. He retested the water and said it was just fine and showed me the colors. Then blamed it on me saying I HAD to have put something in the tank that poisoned the water, like maybe cleaning agents. When I totally denied that he then said it could be something as simple as something on my hands and would give me a "discount" on new fish.

Whatever. Ill chuck this up to a very expensive lessoned learned. Ill be starting a new tank (from scratch this time!!) as soon as I can but since I just put $300 into this tank, Ill have to save up a bit. Ill keep working on this one and pray some of whats left make it.

So far I have left the damsel fish (which I'm giving him away because he is too aggressive), 2 firefish, 1 cleaner yellow goby, and 1 yellow clown goby who has just looked SO sick but refuses to die so who knows.

Ive lost 2 clown fish, 1 worm, and 1 blue neon cleaner...basically all my favorites. (Lost 3 fish, 1 worm, and various snails)

On the flip side, I must have a super worm! The LFS guy (not the idiot place who sold me this but the private dealer trying to help me) suggested I remove the worms 2 days ago because I had dumped that freshwater gallon in there and he expected them to die. He figured it was better for me to move them than have them start decomposing in the tank right now so suggest I put them in a container with tank water and airstone. So I did that and the one worm was definately dead but other was still alive. So he sat in that water for a day, just an airstone and cold water. He spewed something all over the bowl and I expected him to be dead. Went to throw him out last night and Ill be danged if he wasnt still alive! (Water had no heater.) Since the main tank seemed to be stabalizing I put him back just to see. The hermet crabs all jumped right on him and started pulling and eating at his casing. I expected to see a half eaten worm this morning but he's wide open and eating. Crazy! He's been handled several times, dealt with whatever was in the water, a big salinity drop, a cold bowl and he's still alive. If he makes it, Im calling him Super Worm.

P.S. The fish I'm not going to keep, Im going to give to that other fish store (the private guy trying to help me). Maybe he can at least give them a good home. I don't want to bring them back to the other place for even a partial credit. I think Im just done with them.

Ill be doing another water change today and will do my first testing at home. Ill report. Thanks for helping everyone!

Yes, when you first notice a problem with your tank the best thing that can be done is a PWC(partial water change) 15-20%.
They did not use a refractomenter!Wow, shows you right there how they operate. He was wrong to blame you. He should have tried to remedy the problem and later discuss the things that may have caused it.
What ever you do don't forget that tank you have is a pretty good setup in more experinced hands....and in a few months that will be your hands.
Remember the best thing to do in an emergency is to step back and access the problem and then it's "Baby Steps" to correct them.
I wish you all the luck in the world and remember to take it slow.

WOAH!

Okay so I thought I'd do my own test before I do a water change now that I have a kit. I read the instructions and I KNOW the LFS isn't testing right. For the Nitrate and Ammonia, they only used one bottle. But the directions has you use two bottles. Most readings are great but Nitrates are BAD. What does that mean? And does that explain why the critters are dieing? What would cause such a high Nitrate?

Should I just do a normal water change to fix?

Salinity= 1.021
PH=8.2
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate= 80!

GD it, he told me the water was perfect.

Yes, 80 is high. I think the other readings were up to but have since cycled down.
Do a 20% water change ASP, make sure that your water has aged a bit...aerate for at least a few hours. So mix your water, bring your salinity up a little (this water change bring it up to 1.024) and then the next one bring it up to 1.025.
I don't believe that your nitrates killed your fish. maybe your featherduster.
Test, test and test some more. Each test will make you more comfortable with the test kit.
Turn this into fun......
img_1095485_0_095d9f6ac431ad61311037fff4c4b252.jpg

Hahaha is that you?

I actually have saltwater I bought from their store. They have those big tanks. It's 1.023, is that ok?

It's okay this time but better to bring it up to a least .024-25. I say this because it leaves room for errors. No problem if evaporation brings the SG up or error on our part brings it down a little.
No it's not me...I think it's Mike.....NOT lol

...So mix your water, bring your salinity up a little (this water change bring it up to 1.024) and then the next one bring it up to 1.025...

Are you really suggesting that she take her SG from 1.021 to 1.024 in one water change? Using only a hydrometer?

Haha, yeah Im going to find a refractometer on ebay. This plastic thing is not accurate I can tell. There are always bubbles on it and no matter how much I bang it, I can clear them all. It's on my list to do asap.

Bonnie, I forget if your tank is reef or fish only. 1.023 is perfect for fish only. Corals like it a bit higher.

FOWLR right now. It's got one worm and that little yellow cucumber. No corals yet. I do want some eventually, but Im going to get a bigger tank and start from scratch.

If she put in a pwc at 1.024 it would only bring her water up just a bit. So no I am not telling her to bring her tank water up that much in one water change. But Kurt thanks for letting everyone know that it should be done in baby steps.

I retested the tank 3 hours after the water change and nitrates are still at 80. Does it take a long time to go away?

How often should I do a water change?

Also, I have this Instand Ocean brand Natural Nitrate Reducer. Is it safe to use this now? It says to toss in 10ml for a 10g tank and to double it when nitrates are really bad. How often should I use it? The bottle doesnt say.

Back
Top Bottom